Recommend a CX commuting bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Finally had enough of the Giant TCX, it's an entry level version and although great initially, the gears need adjusting every 3 days and the brakes need constant fettling to stop judder. Coupled with the harsh fork, I think it's time for a change.

Budget: £500-1000.00 (lower end preffered but would rather spend more to get the right bike)
Forks: Carbon
Brakes: Disc (never tried cable discs before but happy to try)
Groupset: Tiagra equivalent or higher.

Certainly don't need 105 spec (would be nice!) on a commuter, in fact probably more practical to have something that's a bit more open to commuting abuse but the entry level spec doesn't work for me.
Any recommendations? Isn't it about this sort of time that the big discounts are available?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I use a Giant Revolt 3 as a winter commuter and family rides bike. It has Claris gears & weighs 12kg. Did me very well last winter.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all, great replies :smile:

No, not in need of any mounts for guards or bags, I use a saddle mounted carrier and just put up with the spray (it's only a short commute)
I did look for the 2014 Boardman CX but they're completely out of stock in my size which is a shame!
I'll have a look at the planet X
One quick question on the new Boardman model...11 speed? and is that a single chainring up front? I'm a bit out of touch in what's new in cycling, but is that setup any good? Can see it being robust, just a bit concerned about the short, but monumentally steep hill that I need to wheeze up every day!

EDIT: Just had a quick look at the planet-x offering, that looks as if it could be absolutely ideal (but still with the same odd 11 speed set-up)

Use a Planet X XLS as a commuter and it's been really good and stood up to some abuse;no rack mounts of course as it's a pukks 'race' frame and that may limit your choices if you need a rack as a lot of cross frames won't have them.

The Planet X is a good shout,read a thread somewhere else by someone who had toured the North West coast of the States who raved about it and it's a popular commuter bike.

Another option might be one of the gravel bikes which are the in thing now.

Might be worth consudering a single chainring option especially if it's mostly a flat route that you will be on,it's how I have the XLS set-up now using old 10-spd 105 shifters and a Deore 9-speed long cage mech.

As for mechanical disc brakes I have TRP spyres on mine which have been really good.

Any excuse for a pic:rolleyes:

The XLS with an Alp-Kit tailpack(wheels are the spares with the knobblies on,usually has Archetypes running tubeless tyres).

IMG_20160822_071341104.jpg

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :smile:
It's kind of a CX I want, but it won't be used for CX!
It's really more of an extra tough commuter that will take on broken up concrete roads and muddy trails on occasions but mostly asphalt. I love the CX frame on the current bike, it's held up really well, just the small details that let it down hence the search for something a bit more suitable.
I have to admit the planet-x does look extremely appealing at that price and spec :smile:
Elybazza61, that really is a thing of beauty!

Time to do a bit more research! And, thanks again all :smile:

Thanks all, great replies :smile:

No, not in need of any mounts for guards or bags, I use a saddle mounted carrier and just put up with the spray (it's only a short commute)
I did look for the 2014 Boardman CX but they're completely out of stock in my size which is a shame!
I'll have a look at the planet X
One quick question on the new Boardman model...11 speed? and is that a single chainring up front? I'm a bit out of touch in what's new in cycling, but is that setup any good? Can see it being robust, just a bit concerned about the short, but monumentally steep hill that I need to wheeze up every day!

EDIT: Just had a quick look at the planet-x offering, that looks as if it could be absolutely ideal (but still with the same odd 11 speed set-up)

The Sram set-ups have a wide spread(11-42)cassette on the back so should be fine,they do a Rival 2 x 11 speed as well though

Thanks all :smile:
It's kind of a CX I want, but it won't be used for CX!
It's really more of an extra tough commuter that will take on broken up concrete roads and muddy trails on occasions but mostly asphalt. I love the CX frame on the current bike, it's held up really well, just the small details that let it down hence the search for something a bit more suitable.
I have to admit the planet-x does look extremely appealing at that price and spec :smile:
Elybazza61, that really is a thing of beauty!

Time to do a bit more research! And, thanks again all :smile:

Thanks,it's evolved a bit since I bought the frame from their e-bay shop;started with old 105 kit and standard 50-34 chinwheels to how it is now.

It's nearly as quick as my ally road bike with decent rubber on it but even with the touring tyres and kbobblies it'll cruise quite nicely and of course it'll go off the beaten track too.

Sounds like a cx is what you really want.

Oh and not to worry about mounts if you do decide to get 'guards for it(they are good in the winter,keeps the bike cleaner and saves on cleaning!),I use these Axiom guards that fit via the axles(they are better than this review makes out);

http://road.cc/content/review/132854-axiom-roadrunner-lx-reflex-mudguards

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fair enough. Have you looked the latest generation of Giants if you like the TCX?

e.g. http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s194p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Cyclo-Cross

It does look lovely, but I can't quite gel with the TCX.
I bought it from a local shop, test rode it, fell off it (posted on here about it :blush: ) and absolutely loved it.
Continued to love it for a few Months before the niggling doubts got worse...
Can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels too twitchy. It maybe just that the stem is a bit short but certainly with M+ tyres on (my only choice for my commute) it's definitely twitchy to the point of being unstable which is something I've never felt on any other bike. And that fork is brutally harsh, especially (again) with the M+ tyres.
I do love Giant's, I've got/had 4 of them now and loved all of them, but I think it's time to try something else.

So... and powered by my usual impulsive clicking finger (and after reading reviews)... I've just ordered the planet X
Looks as if it it's designed to do everything I want from a commuter, fingers crossed it will!

Last edited:
Top Bottom