Recommend a fatter bottle cage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I have happily used a plastic 1 litre bottle to take water to work for years. However, I dropped it last week and cracked it. Bah!

I bought a stainless one to replace it, not thinking that because it's double walled (ooh!) it is fatter, so it doesn't fit in my bottle cage. Harrumph.

I've seen those cages that are really for attaching stuff sacks and so on to - like the Salsa 'anything' cage, but I don't really want to be faffing with straps and such, so I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a bottle cage that's just a little wider - the bottle is a little over 3 inches in diameter, and is straight sided.

TIA.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Topeak Modula cage goes wider but is badly designed and scratches bottles rotten.

Is the size difference too much for bending a cage out?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I can’t bend the cage sadly. There just isnt enough metal in the base of the cage.
600F0A98-86D0-49AA-A04C-655DCC700715.jpeg

U

User6179

I use BBB Speedcage, they probably would bend a little to take a wider bottle.

s-l225.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Topeak Modula cage goes wider but is badly designed and scratches bottles rotten.

Is the size difference too much for bending a cage out?
Got the Topeak Modulas, 6 cages spread over 4 bikes. I like them, adjustabe but yes, do scratch the lower half of the bottle but it's not a cause for anxiety. I use the smoke grey Camelbak bottles, they look fine.

DSC_0790.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for your input all - I didn't go to Halfords on the way home the other night because I had to get straight home in the end. But then this morning I remembered that when I took 'the other' bike on holiday the summer before last, I only really used it to go to the next valley of an evening to pick up a bottle of wine, which fitted nicely in the bottle cage. Turns out 'the other' bike, which I haven't ridden for 18 months, has a bottle cage on it that is just like a Tacx Deva. I'm pretending that I would have forgotten this when I was younger too, and therefore the fact that it had completely slipped my mind is not a sign of ageing.

It's on the commuter bike now, and the bottle fits.

Top Bottom