Recommend a garage PIR wi-fi alarm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
Hello,

I've searched previous threads and cannot quite find an answer/guidance.

I have a detached garage, about 25 meters behind the house. It has Wi-Fi, linked to the house router.

I'd like to install an internal PIR alarm. Doesn't need video (though would be nice), but does need the ability to alert my phone straight away if activated. This would ideally be via Wi-Fi or similar.

Anybody using and recommends something?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've got one concealed in our front garden that pings if anyone crosses the boundary. I'm not 100% sure as we've had it a few years but I think it is a Steinel branded one. Not especially cheap as I recall, but the brand came well recommended. In this case it just pings in the house like a doorbell but I'm pretty sure they can be connected to an actual intruder alarm system.

D

Deleted member 26715

When you say it has WiFi do you mean it can pick up WiFi or has an extender in there that has a RJ45 outlet?

D

Deleted member 26715

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Looks good. Ideally I'd like communication with my phone by Wi-Fi, as the phone signal is not great where I live. Seems to tick all the other boxes.

How reliable have you found it? Don't want something that goes off if a mouse or something gets in the garage.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Looks good. Ideally I'd like communication with my phone by Wi-Fi, as the phone signal is not great where I live. Seems to tick all the other boxes.

How reliable have you found it? Don't want something that goes off if a mouse or something gets in the garage.
I've had mine since October last year, my garage is 100 yards from my flat, up to now it's been fine with no false calls, but sometimes when I switch it off it doesn't, on the unit you can switch the alarm to off so I get a missed call, but I find this helpful as you know the unit is working you can have it to send to landline or mobile. The whole thing is well made and has good back up with tutorials on youtube.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a TP-Link Kasa camera in the garage. It uses a proprietary app and as soon as there is any movement the app shows a notification on my phone; usually under 5 seconds from activity to notification. It then records the activity and saves it to my account where I can watch back from anywhere. The camera has IR night vision too.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
I have a TP-Link Kasa camera in the garage. It uses a proprietary app and as soon as there is any movement the app shows a notification on my phone; usually under 5 seconds from activity to notification. It then records the activity and saves it to my account where I can watch back from anywhere. The camera has IR night vision too.

That is pretty much what I'm after, as I prefer something that uses Wi-Fi as opposed to cellular phone signals.

I have seen this one. It is similar, but has a louder alarm. https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart...-1080p-wifi-security-camera-10185840-pdt.html

The specification says it needs to be within 50 feet of the router. It will be further than that. However, as stated, there is a powerline adaptor in the garage, which gives me a full signal.

I am not well versed in this type of thing, but I presume the camera will still work, as it is within 50 feet of the Wi-Fi adaptor?

Drago

Legendary Member
In which case you could use just about any IP camera, they all tend to have a web interface with alerting to email, some will do SMS but not sure on how you integrate them. Or you could get an alerting light, we used to have one that I setup in our garage,

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Integrated-Floodlight-Surveillance-Waterproof/dp/B07PKLWB9Y
or someting like this, ours wasn't that expensive but that was the first that came up

Our camera systems talks to the interweb and then to an app on Mrs Ds mobile phone, which goes ping when it detects movement. You can set the detection field very cleverly to avoid things like trees that move in the wind etc.

Amusing story, not long after wed had it installed Mrs d was at work when it went ping. She got her phone out and opened up the app to view the camera that had detected movement, onlymto find it was me in my Y fronts with half my bum crack showing opening the front door to fetch in a parcel.

D

Deleted member 26715

I am not well versed in this type of thing, but I presume the camera will still work, as it is within 50 feet of the Wi-Fi adaptor?
Yes but what the marketing people don't mention is that it will also need a power socket within 2 metres as these have to be powered. I know somebody who bought 4 of a similar product, put them up & then couldn't work out why they didn't work. Once I pointed out he'd got no power sockets on his soffets he took them back down & took them back the shop.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Yes but what the marketing people don't mention is that it will also need a power socket within 2 metres as these have to be powered. I know somebody who bought 4 of a similar product, put them up & then couldn't work out why they didn't work. Once I pointed out he'd got no power sockets on his soffets he took them back down & took them back the shop.
Already seen that. The power cables are ridiculously short, so I'm looking into if extension leads are available.

Drago

Legendary Member
My cameras are all cabled in. Routed them up though the soffits, into the loft, then down into the hallway where the internet router sits. A ballache, but its utterly reliable and simplicity itself.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Search for Moobox camera and hub.
Not the cheapest, but very good. No hard wiring required. WiFi. Up to 3 months power from one charge (depending on settings) Free 7 day cloud storage. Great customer service for questions. Easy setup.
I have the Hub, an external waterproof cam and an internal non waterproof. The hub and excellent App will run up to 4 cameras.

Edit: I might have to get another cam as I just received an End of Life mail for my Wemo camera

Last edited:
Top Bottom