Recommend a VERY bright light for on the canal paths.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am ok and sorted for road lights.

It is currently getting dark around 8pm. By December it will be dark around 4.30pm.

If I go on my usual rides in the late afternoon, there is a good chance I will be returning home along the canal paths after the sun has gone down.Some sections of the route have no lighting & it is very dark.

I want to get a very bright (preferably wide beamed) front light. Which do you recommend?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Are you happy to have an external battery pack?

gaijintendo

Veteran
Sorry to butt in, but why not use a moderately bright light?

I ask because the only time I have had issues with my Smart 700 (170 lux) light is when someone with a "VERY bright light" has been coming the other way and ruined my contrast vision.

Canals are almost exclusively unlit by public lighting, so a bright light hurts. It's worth mentioning, your eyes will adjust to a moderate light. Probably better than you give them credit.

I don't completely understand why people need laser cannons on these shared routes? If you are going so fast you need to see a quarter mile ahead, you are probably going too fast for dog walkers and canal boat punters or whatever frequents your local canal.

If you do go nuts though, please dim the thing when you see a cyclist approaching. Set phasers to tickle rather than stun or kill.

Last edited:
I want to get a very bright (preferably wide beamed) front light. Which do you recommend?
As a guy on a bike, commuting the Leeds-Liverpool canal from Leeds to nearly-Horsforth for a few months, I have a wee bit of a problem with your question!

I have lights very adequate to riding the towpath. In my comfort, safety, and confidence. My AND OTHERS' comfort, safety, and confidence.

And if there's anything that p!$$e$ me off, it's over-powered lights from guys coming towards me, that blind me. On a canal towpath? Come on!

IMHO - you want as much as you need to light your path ahead effectively, and no more.

Agree with others re: the lighting arms race. Having said that, if you must, then the lifeline 700 from wiggle at £32 and the Blackburn centre 700 (also £32 at tredz but with a fiver off from a discount code) are probably largest lumens for your loot presently

I am ok and sorted for road lights.

It is currently getting dark around 8pm. By December it will be dark around 4.30pm.

If I go on my usual rides in the late afternoon, there is a good chance I will be returning home along the canal paths after the sun has gone down.Some sections of the route have no lighting & it is very dark.

Have you considered retaining your current lights and just cycling a bit slower on the unlit towpaths ? Please !

hoopdriver

Guru
There is always the Lupine Betty with 5000 lumens...

You will be very popular...

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
B + m lumotec iq cyo premium t senso plus.
80 lux is more than enough to light up the trail ahead but the cut off won't blind every Tom, Dick and Harriet. This also means they won't show up till the very last second so you'd have to watch the speed.
There's a battery version of the light but I'm damned if I can find it. But, as a night cycler, you'll save a few pennies running a dynamo anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Cree LED light has a notched mount, which allows you to swivel it sideways in 10 degree steps, a useful "dipping" action.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What they all said. I love my AyUps. Very good at illuminating. Very good at illuminating trees and overhanging branches. Sometimes useful off-road, rarely so on it. I use an AirStream on road. On full chat good enough for a towpath at sensible speeds.

Top Bottom