Recommend me a dog scarer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I was walking through a farmyard on Sunday, on a bridleway, clearly marked. Three farm dogs came out barking and running around us, very close. One bit me.
Two puncture wounds that bled a bit. I had some first aid stuff, so patched them up and carried on walking. Reported to the police when we got back to where we'd left the car (I have an incident number, but no further contact as yet). Went to the docs yesterday and was given some antibiotics, just in case.

To the point of this post...
I've never liked having to walk through farmyards with loose dogs. And I've never liked those 'friendly' dogs who dash up to me when I'm walking, and especially not the ones who jump up. The usual excuse is 'They're only trying to be friendly.' Yes, but how do I know that when they're approaching.

Now I've actually been bitten, I'm going to be even less keen on such animals.

So I was wondering if there is a small ultrasonic thingy that I could use subtly, that would put them off. Looking on Amazon there are a couple at around £10-20, and some much more expensive ones. The cheaper ones have mixed reviews, and all seem to be aimed mainly at stopping dogs barking. I'd rather have something that could put them off from a few feet away than something like a spray where they would have to be quite close to be effective.

Any suggestions?

[Makes bet with self about the ratio of sensible answers to jokes... :laugh:]

classic33

Leg End Member
An app?

Start using a walking stick/pole when walking.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I had a stick, but it was strapped to the back of my rucksack and I couldn't get it off easily.
I also wonder if starting to swing a stick around might make some dogs more likely to attack - and there were three of them.

CharlesF

Guru
Don’t know if any gadget. I was taught that when confronted by an aggressive dog, stop, hands by your side, not flapping around, and stare at the dog without blinking.

If you know anyone with a dog, try the staring bit, as practice and to see how it works.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Don’t know if any gadget. I was taught that when confronted by an aggressive dog, stop, hands by your side, not flapping around, and stare at the dog without blinking.

If you know anyone with a dog, try the staring bit, as practice and to see how it works.
Staring at a dog is a sign of aggression from the doggies point of view. Best to stay stationery and look away. Do not attempt to out run a dog - it ain't gonna happen.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Usually shouting very loudly is enough to stop them. Worth reporting as you have done as aggressive dogs that would bite someone walking' shouldn't be out loose (neither should ones that go for cyclists, but we are a 'chase' target.

What if it was a kid or a small dog ?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've heard good reports of this.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Found a dog whistle app that makes sounds painfully loud to my ears with teh frequency down. Might try that when next-door's dogs start yapping again (briefly, don't want to piss off the neighbours!).
That's useful, thanks. In my case there were three dogs all barking and running around the pair of us, so lots of those hints wouldn't have worked!
I found the farmer concerned on Facebook - looks like he trains sheepdogs for a living, FFS.

pawl

Legendary Member
I was walking through a farmyard on Sunday, on a bridleway, clearly marked. Three farm dogs came out barking and running around us, very close. One bit me.
Two puncture wounds that bled a bit. I had some first aid stuff, so patched them up and carried on walking. Reported to the police when we got back to where we'd left the car (I have an incident number, but no further contact as yet). Went to the docs yesterday and was given some antibiotics, just in case.

To the point of this post...
I've never liked having to walk through farmyards with loose dogs. And I've never liked those 'friendly' dogs who dash up to me when I'm walking, and especially not the ones who jump up. The usual excuse is 'They're only trying to be friendly.' Yes, but how do I know that when they're approaching.

Now I've actually been bitten, I'm going to be even less keen on such animals.

So I was wondering if there is a small ultrasonic thingy that I could use subtly, that would put them off. Looking on Amazon there are a couple at around £10-20, and some much more expensive ones. The cheaper ones have mixed reviews, and all seem to be aimed mainly at stopping dogs barking. I'd rather have something that could put them off from a few feet away than something like a spray where they would have to be quite close to be effective.

Any suggestions?

[Makes bet with self about the ratio of sensible answers to jokes... :laugh:]

Mrs p She scares me

Top Bottom