Recommend me a dog scarer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The universal, worldwide gesture when approached by a dog is to bend down and pretend to pick up a stone. All dogs will turn and scarper.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The universal, worldwide gesture when approached by a dog is to bend down and pretend to pick up a stone. All dogs will turn and scarper.
Mine wouldn't, it'd try to snatch the pretend stone out of your hand and bite you in the process. DAMHIK.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry you were bitten !

Ignoring a noisy dog & not staring at it is something I have found to be effective.

The only thing I have found to be totally effective against aggressive dogs was a Soay sheep. She would go in for the attack wholeheartedly horns and all, and see them off, but it's not all that practical to take one on every walk.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
A bigger dog.

As well as the prosecution, claim off the dog owners insurance. Of it's a working farm they'll have some liability cover.
That assumes that the police do something? Not sure how far I'd get with a civil suit - only my partner witnessed it. For obvious reasons I didn't hang around to call at the farmhouse to complain. No idea how that all works at the moment. First, I'm waiting to see what the police say - no doubt they've got more urgent things to do than sort out an assualt minor enough that the victim carried on hill walking after and didn't go to the doctor until the following day.

byegad

Legendary Member
We have a couple of 'dog dazers' last I saw online they were the wrong side of £30.

We bought them when Lady Byegad started riding with me. She's rightly very nervous of loose dogs after being bitten as a girl. They tend to put off a vaguely hostile dog, but not in my experience one with real intent. Luckily a handy wall with a gate was available, but without that the brute would have had a piece of me!

The good thing about them is that cats hate them, so they get used scaring the neighbour's mobile sh*tt*ng machines try to visit our garden.

netman

Veteran
6b4c8d6c5189242a262bf0212b9b35cd.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Seems to be a recurrent problem in this forum; Richard Ballantyne's advice may seem extreme, but I've come close to it when attacked by a pack of stray dogs in Portugal. Grabbed a fallen branch which was fortunately in easy reach, then picked up a stone and threw it at the pack leader's head, leaving it in no doubt that it wouldn't survive a serious escalation. It took the hint and reluctantly slunk away, along with the other 5 pack members.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-to-stop-dog-attacks.202312/
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-to-deal-with-dogs-or-has-this-guy-got-issues.95412/

That looks like a hard version of my cat.

When I've been cycling in India, on one particular route (to my favourite beach, so go there a lot) there are two or three areas where packs of semi domesticated dogs reside. There's always a guard which lets the others (six or seven) know when I'm around. They, in turn, come out and have a go. I pre-arm with stones and throw them on the road surface where they scatter and scare the dogs. IF that fails (and so far it hasn't) then I have a bamboo cane handy, light and effective, to swish at or hit the dog with.

It might be more difficult being a pedestrian, but having stones in pocket, or a walking crop, may be of some help.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Two decades in Africa being munched by various dogs and I’ve got to say the stone method is best. Stick next. On my school bike I used a ‘sawn off hockey stick.’

I have always owned dogs and the stay still / eye contact approach does not work on aggressive dogs. Only half jobs. I remember being told not to shout as this is the equivalent of barking back and it just winds them up more.

Here in the UK every dog that has bitten me or my dogs have been by dogs whose owners have used the ‘...only trying to be friendly line...’ Clearly they know nothing about dogs and ignorant therefore a danger.

And incase anyone is in any doubt: Dog bites are incredibly painful for some reason. And filthy. I have also been bitten properly by a human and a piece of flesh fell off my shoulder. Very disconcerting.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Bitten a few times when I was a postie by dogs "just saying hello". It's all a big joke "dog bites postie" but some of the guys in the delivery office had some horrific scars. Learned it's no use trying to fend them off once they get too close as their fighting instinct kicks in. Staring them down certainly does not work but I've found being confident, smiling broadly and talking softly has worked with a few aggressive dogs. Failing that, the stones thing might work.

It’s a growing problem, wild dogs attacking back packers, and even in towns after dark, in the US.
I had to give up walking because of badgers, I used to walk in the Forrest after dark, until they
started, would be easy enough to take along some weapon to defeat them,
but I would then have to fight the animal rights mob, so gave up.

This past few years where I live, it’s impossible to get to sleep with dogs barking,
their owners never go out to them, one starts it, and for miles around they all join in.
Am actually looking into finding somewhere else to live, it is unbearable, every night
non stop, talk to their owners, well given they never seem to hear their dogs or go out
to them, they are not going to be interested in listening to me, I live in the countryside,
and never witnessed the likes, there is not one evening or night I could sit in the garden
in peace, there’s never a silence, the dogs are even barking as I type.

Top Bottom