Recommend me a dog scarer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Bitten a few times when I was a postie by dogs "just saying hello". It's all a big joke "dog bites postie" but some of the guys in the delivery office had some horrific scars. Learned it's no use trying to fend them off once they get too close as their fighting instinct kicks in. Staring them down certainly does not work but I've found being confident, smiling broadly and talking softly has worked with a few aggressive dogs. Failing that, the stones thing might work.

We were told to hold a bag in front of you.

Ireland

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was a postman the garden path of any aggressive dog was simply avoided. The mail was taken back to the office and the owner had to collect it.
More recently I had 3 encounters in one week on the Sustrans route 78 with dogs running loose and couldn’t care less owners. One was called off after it became obvious that I was not going to stop ( Brompton) and the dog would come off worst. Another was on my trike where I eventually aimed the front with pedals and chainwheel at the dog. It took this again for the owner to take any action. The last was noisy but I did not think dangerous and I outran it but again owner not interested. It seems to me that a spray seems the easiest to use as deterrent. Plain water has been recommended by some. Anybody tried it?

When I was a postman the garden path of any aggressive dog was simply avoided. The mail was taken back to the office and the owner had to collect it.
More recently I had 3 encounters in one week on the Sustrans route 78 with dogs running loose and couldn’t care less owners. One was called off after it became obvious that I was not going to stop ( Brompton) and the dog would come off worst. Another was on my trike where I eventually aimed the front with pedals and chainwheel at the dog. It took this again for the owner to take any action. The last was noisy but I did not think dangerous and I outran it but again owner not interested. It seems to me that a spray seems the easiest to use as deterrent. Plain water has been recommended by some. Anybody tried it?
They don’t care about anything any more, there’s nothing in their heads.
Best job is video it, and take to the police, dog warden, local council, and news paper,
make sure you go back to the owners camera running and ask them why their dog is loose.

I just remembered, a woman in town watched as a dog bit her child,
she went outside put the dog in her car and took it to be put down,
I like that woman.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Trouble is I have no camera. Don’t really want one although recent deterioration of driver behaviour is making me reconsider. Within a 20 or 30 mile radius of where I live there seems to be at least one serious accident every day with long road closures.

Trouble is I have no camera. Don’t really want one although recent deterioration of driver behaviour is making me reconsider. Within a 20 or 30 mile radius of where I live there seems to be at least one serious accident every day with long road closures.
That’s the problem, it would be great to be free to walk run or cycle safely, but it’s not anymore,
video footage at least shows how things unfold, the law is not heavy enough towards those
with dogs who let them interfere with people, and vehicle drivers that think they own the roads
and have the right to drive close to cyclists.
I look forward to the day when motorists are banned for going near cyclists, and dog owners loose their dog and get sent to jail, nothing else will work, they will flaunt the current rules and do as they please
until they are put away for it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not unless sheep have started wearing trousers and boots...
images.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

I found the farmer concerned on Facebook - looks like he trains sheepdogs for a living, FFS.
Don't use Fecesbook, but can you put messages into a group that he's a member warning other people about loose dangerous dogs on a farm nearby?

Law needs to be changed, if a dog as much as growls or barks at you, it should be
banned from any space outside it’s owners yard, which by law should also have
mandatory ten foot fence around it, we’re not thinking as a people at all,
we all shout in outrage when dog attacks happen, but we do absolutely nothing to solve the problem.

We need a thousand pound fine if a dog attacks or bites, plus owner pays hospital bills,
and any other costs involved in escaping or defending against the attack, including
damage to property and clothing, that would soon get rid of the majority of dog problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
People get very 'oh it wouldn't hurt a fly' with their animals, so law changes have been very difficult. The hoohah about Pitbull type dogs being one. It's not the animal's fault though. It's the stupid owner who hasn't trained it properly.

Top Bottom