Recommend me a pasword manager....or not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I should start using something like this. I have hundreds of passwords dotted about around various scraps of paper. It takes me ages to find rarely used passwords, and there is always the risk of losing the documents.

Brains

Legendary Member
I should start using something like this. I have hundreds of passwords dotted about around various scraps of paper. It takes me ages to find rarely used passwords, and there is always the risk of losing the documents.

or speaking from grim experience, someone has to pick up the threads of your life at short notice, thankfully in my case they were all recorded in a little black book, but without that we would have been very stuck.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Try it,
From memory I think you get the full spec free for 30 days
They they try to persuade you to pay
Frankly, for me, it's worth it
But they I have more passwords than most people

One of the good features is once you have it in your browser and you open it when you log in, any site you open that is password controlled thereafter, it will ask you 'do you want to remember this one?'

It means you don't have to spend an evening going through your little black book uploading data, you simple go to every website that you use (Cyclechat, ebay, amazon, etc) and just hit 'save'

Hi, just going back to this topic as I installed last pass yesterday. Is there a simple way to have old passwords securely generated and saved?
so far it seems that i have to go into each site and select "Change password". However in the two fields "new password" and "Confirm new password" lastpass wants to generate seperate unique passwords. I can get it to generate a "new password" and then copy and paste into the "Confirm password" field. I guess I have to this for each site.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi, just going back to this topic as I installed last pass yesterday. Is there a simple way to have old passwords securely generated and saved?
so far it seems that i have to go into each site and select "Change password". However in the two fields "new password" and "Confirm new password" lastpass wants to generate seperate unique passwords. I can get it to generate a "new password" and then copy and paste into the "Confirm password" field. I guess I have to this for each site.

It depends on how many log on/passwords you need to store
I've got close to 300 (a lot are work related which is why I have so many)

Frankly I'd start off with the current password that you have for each site.
Simply open the site and save it as is for now.
The update them with the random unique ones as and when.
Personally I don't think matters too much if your password for cyclechat and the the BBC are the same as no money is involved so no one is going to bother to hack in.
I'd change the ones that involve money (banks, Amazon, E-bay etc) one by by one.

There is a feature in Last Pass to note when you last updated the entry, anything involving money should be changed once a year or so (and some would argue once a quarter would be better)

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

I used to use Last Pass but I found it to be too awkward to use. I was put onto Dashlane last year and I've not looked back. It even keeps your receipts for any purchases made as well as making new passwords for you. Also, it will alert you to any data breaches which may mean that you'll have to change your password.

Top Bottom