Recommend me a pump.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes I know J - and it comes with it - doesn't suite all bikes though, but as I said not a great problem unless you are the sort of rider that insists on keeping their (useless) mini mini pump in their jersey pocket or up their rectum :smile:

Mine fits on one of my bikes with holder and velcro, to another shoved in a pannier. Not a problem for a tourer.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
another vote for the Topeak Road Morph. Not sure I trust its gauge (in fact, I don't think you need a gauge, just something to get you going again). Alas there are many small pumps that are next to useless, but the Road Morph is not one of them. I had the good opportunity to get a Filzer pump that was similar, I swear they were mispriced on Amazon for about 7 quid each, just as good as the Road Morph too. I bought a couple of them, then they went up in price considerably :sad:

Another option is to consider a CO2 inflator -good for very quick inflates, though one shot deals obviously and dependent on how many cartridges you carry with you. Again, probably good enough to get you where you need to be to repair that pesky flat.

OP
OP
NeilM

NeilM

I carry a co2 inflator on both my road and mountain bikes and as a one shot fill to get you going again they are fine, but I am contemplating tours lasting up to three weeks and don't fancy lugging a supply of co2 cartridges around with me when a pump will do the same job, only a little slower.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

don't fancy lugging a supply of co2 cartridges around with me when a pump will do the same job, only a little slower.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
The road morph isn't slow at all. Posy racer mini pumps definitely are.

Agree with slight reservations above about the guauge, but I'd still get the model with the guauge, even though it can be tricky to read. Edinburgh bike co-op used to do\do a pretty nice lookalike, but it has a significant disadvantage as it can't be taken apart, seal-lubed, rebuilt.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have a Lezyne Micro which I thought was rather good.

Then on a recent tour another rider lent me his Zefal HPX when I was changing a tube.

It was sensational and I ordered one on return to the UK. In fact, I'm longing for a puncture so I can use it.

froze

Über Member
There are several good pumps on the market, but be careful because the vast majority of pumps on the market cannot reach their psi claims, this applies especially to the mini pumps.

The Topeak Road Morph G, which I own, is a great pump but it looks ungainly on a bike as would the Lezyne with the external hose shown in a post above in my opinion. The Zefal is an old standard frame pump, which I also own a 30 year old one, that's been around a long time and is very rugged pump that took a dog beat down upon the nose without any effects except blood; it is a direct connect pump, meaning there is no hose, so like any direct connect pump you have to be careful when pumping that as pressure goes up and the difficulty factor to pump increases some people will have a tendency to saw back and forth which will rip the valve stem, I've never had that issue with those types of pumps including direct connect mini pumps but many have, the good thing about that pump is that it doesn't take as much effort as a mini will thus the sawing effect would be less. The Lezyne does make a very nice mini pump that has a hose that is stored internally so it's not visible, depending on what kind of tires you have, like high pressure road tires then the Lezyne (alloy) Road Drive, which comes in 3 sizes but only get the large size for ease of pumping at higher psi, look a lot nicer and works better than any other mini I've use and I've tried a bunch. See: http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-rddrive.php They also make a fancy version of that pump called the Digital Road Drive that includes a very accurate digital pressure gauge, but of course this one is not cheap at around $70 American dollars vs $32 for the regular Road Drive.

But all the pumps the others have mentioned so far are very good pumps and are quite worthy of being purchased. If you like the Zefal you need to be careful when pumping that you don't get into sawing it back and forth, you have to brace your thumb over the top of the head of the pump and your fingers underneath on the tire. Even a pump with hose if someone isn't careful can saw with those too, but as long as you keep slack in the hose you'll be fine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are several good pumps on the market, but be careful because the vast majority of pumps on the market cannot reach their psi claims, this applies especially to the mini pumps.

The Topeak Road Morph G, which I own, is a great pump but it looks ungainly on a bike as would the Lezyne with the external hose shown in a post above in my opinion. The Zefal is an old standard frame pump, which I also own a 30 year old one, that's been around a long time and is very rugged pump that took a dog beat down upon the nose without any effects except blood; it is a direct connect pump, meaning there is no hose, so like any direct connect pump you have to be careful when pumping that as pressure goes up and the difficulty factor to pump increases some people will have a tendency to saw back and forth which will rip the valve stem, I've never had that issue with those types of pumps including direct connect mini pumps but many have, the good thing about that pump is that it doesn't take as much effort as a mini will thus the sawing effect would be less. The Lezyne does make a very nice mini pump that has a hose that is stored internally so it's not visible, depending on what kind of tires you have, like high pressure road tires then the Lezyne (alloy) Road Drive, which comes in 3 sizes but only get the large size for ease of pumping at higher psi, look a lot nicer and works better than any other mini I've use and I've tried a bunch. See: http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-rddrive.php They also make a fancy version of that pump called the Digital Road Drive that includes a very accurate digital pressure gauge, but of course this one is not cheap at around $70 American dollars vs $32 for the regular Road Drive.

But all the pumps the others have mentioned so far are very good pumps and are quite worthy of being purchased. If you like the Zefal you need to be careful when pumping that you don't get into sawing it back and forth, you have to brace your thumb over the top of the head of the pump and your fingers underneath on the tire. Even a pump with hose if someone isn't careful can saw with those too, but as long as you keep slack in the hose you'll be fine.
With the Topeak and the Lezyne they both operate as a mini track pump in that they sit on the ground whilst you pump, no 'sawing' with them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My preference is for one with a hose rather than rigid clip on. The rigid ones I find hard to keep on while pumping, esp for presta.

I have a Lezyne something or other which I like but I'm sure the others recommended here are just as good.

Custom24

Über Member
I have a topeak Road morph and a mountain morph, both with gauges. Both are very good. The gauge on the mountain version is easier to read and the handle is easier to use, but I guess the road version is sleeker

Top Bottom