Recommendations for bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi
I want to insure my bike against theft (primarily).

Any recommendations welcome

Adam4868

Guru
Hi
I want to insure my bike against theft (primarily).

Any recommendations welcome
Can you not add it to house insurance ? Thats where mine are insured

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have always covered my families bikes through adding to the house insurance although you do have to check what cover you are actually getting to ensure you are buying adequate cover. Buying standalone insurance has always seemed extortionately expensive in comparison to adding a bike to the house policy, especially when covering multiple bikes. Independent insurers also seem particularly draconian with the T&Cs and are much more likely to impose conditions on what type or standard of lock is used etc.

I think the main points to consider are;
  • Is/are the bike/s insured against theft from inside your own home and do the bikes themselves have to be locked even when indoors?
  • Similarly to the above, what about locked outbuildings at your home/property if the bikes cannot be stored in the main residence?
  • Is cover provided in case of theft when the bike/s are locked in a public place and are there any conditions on what type of lock used or times of day etc?
  • Will you be covered if the bike is stolen from you forcibly during a mugging? If you are confronted by a person who demands your bike and you hand it over rather than risk being assaulted will your insurer pay out for the bike?

I have never had to call on the insurance to claim for a stolen bike but have always managed to use competitively priced mainstream house insurers that will cover my fleet without imposing restrictive conditions. I have never had to lock bikes while in the home or outbuildings and never had to use an approved or rated lock while out and about, it is simply sufficient to make sure the bike/s are locked when unattended. It has all been very user friendly, but then maybe I am a good risk as I do look after my bikes and consider how and where I lock them. I am sure if I made a couple of claims then premiums and conditions would change to reflect this.

The main thing is when buying the insurance, don't just count on getting sufficient cover. Use comparison sites by all means but before completing the purchase actually ring the insurer and ask a real person about the points above to confirm you are getting the cover you require.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have cycle insurance to the value of £8000 as standard on my home contents insurance. World wide new for old.

Coverage for cycles is a key factor when I chose my home insurance. Cycle specific insurance is a rip off.

lane

Veteran
I have cycle insurance to the value of £8000 as standard on my home contents insurance. World wide new for old.

Coverage for cycles is a key factor when I chose my home insurance. Cycle specific insurance is a rip off.

I agree. My home insurance is with John Lewis but does not cover as much as £8k (or maybe there is a lmit per bike can't exactly remember off hand) who are you with?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got £2000 of bike theft cover on my home contents policy. I think it cost an extra £20 a year, and it covers the bikes for a few weeks abroad as well (I think). Unlike bike specific insurance policies, it doesn't specify the type of lock I have to use when out and about, and it doesn't have the clever weasel clauses. The downside is that if a cheap bike gets nicked, you will have a claim on the home contents policy that may increase the premium on all your other stuff. That's a risk worth taking. If the insurance company tries that on renewal, just ditch them and go somewhere else.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I agree. My home insurance is with John Lewis but does not cover as much as £8k (or maybe there is a lmit per bike can't exactly remember off hand) who are you with?

Hastings Direct this year, Halifax last year which was less cover but still more than enough.

I shop around every year. Basically if I don't claim I won't pay more than the previous year + 5%

gbb

Legendary Member
All insurers are not so accommodating. Churchill wanted a silly amount (£15 monthly) to add a £1.6k bike. Needless to say we swapped as soon as it was due.

Adam4868

Guru
Easy enough on one of.the comparison sites.My home insurance building/contents with two bikes at 1200 added was about 160 quid for year.

runner

Guru
Rather than start a new thread can I ask a question on this thread.....I have a bike stored in a garden shed at my girlfriends in Newport. I am in the process of divorce and still live at the family home with soon to be x wife. I have a bike here and it is insured under home insurance. I now want to insure both my Kinesis road bike and my girlfriends Specialized which are both locked in a shed in Newport in the enclosed garden....is this clear? I primarily want theft cover? any help would be appreciated

Top Bottom