Recommendations for bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use your household insurance, if you can.

I can't fault Co-op for general insurance - my son broke a laptop and lost a camera - they paid out fast/sourced a replacement. My bikes upto £1000 are covered, any bikes over, I pay about £100 a year for them (two) on an addon policy.

lane

Veteran
You have three possible options - cover on your home insurance, the home insurance covering where the bikes are kept or standalone cycle insurance. Whatever option you choose make absolutely sure establish if the bikes are covered, max cover and most importantly exactly what security conditions you need to meet for them to be covered especially in a shed. Also look into security yourself because even if they are covered its a pain if they are stolen and you will have to meet the excess. Sheds are generally quite hard to secure well.

Siclo

Veteran
I get my house insurance through https://pedalcover.co.uk/home-bike-policy-benefits/ never made a claim but for the level of cover the price is more than reasonable, especially when you consider it covers third party, breakdown (taxi fare), crash damage, no limit on number of bikes, no limit on value of bikes, no stupid security measures like a lock that weighs as much as the bike.

I reckon it raises my house insurance by about £80 a year over the cheapest contents insurance I can get (with a low cover level - no bikes) and never taken a hike at renewal time either. Oh there's free socks and caps when you renew.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I recommend checking the politics of insurers and not buying from ones supporting a certain party which campaigns for measures likely to harm cycling. Ideally buy from one like ETA that campaigns to help cycling even if it's a little more than one which farks us all over, if you can afford it.

vickster

Legendary Member
British Cycling
Cycling UK
London Cycling campaign
Wiggle Assist (if you don't want the campaigning, advocacy, etc stuff alongside)

You could check the legal assistance that you can bolt onto home insurance (you might already have it)?

As a bare minimum, I would strongly suggest everyone has third party liability, covering at least 2 million in the event of injury of third parties after my (non-fault) collision with an idiot pedestrian. AFAIK they were ok after aside from minor scrapes, but it could have very easily have been much worse and I could have been taken to the cleaners, lost my house, etc etc.

I do insure both my bikes for theft and damage on the house policy, one's worth only £350 quid, but would cost £900 or more to buy new. My policy is new for old. The other cost me upward £2k, a DIY custom build. £20 or thereabouts extra per year.

I wouldn't bother insuring my first bike, because I would just buy a similar spec second hand bike if anything happened to it, but incidentally it cost me no more to insure that after insuring the second and most expensive bike. I would find it hard to swallow replacing a >£2k bike out of pocket. I would probably not spend the whole cheque in the event of theft, maybe spend no more than £400 on a commuter in future. I was weak and spent far too much :smile:

Preimums would go up way more than £350 in the event of a claim on the first bike if you include the cost over the next few years. However, the second bike would be worth claiming on.

lane

Veteran
Thing is if they are all stolen at the same time you may as well have them all insured and claim on them all because I doubt then it will make much difference to your premiums. Also if they are all stolen it is a big loss to you cumulatively. Once they get in the shed and garage they are unlikely just to take the one bike. I had three out of four taken and although two of them were mid priced it adds up and also there was only one excess.

classic33

Leg End Member
I recommend checking the politics of insurers and not buying from ones supporting a certain party which campaigns for measures likely to harm cycling. Ideally buy from one like ETA that campaigns to help cycling even if it's a little more than one which farks us all over, if you can afford it.
And one I'd not use again for similar reasons to this person
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=64857

Proof of ownership. Copy receipt, sent to them from the shop it was bought from wasn't good enough.

lane

Veteran
Funnily enough I very nearly included the advice above to make sure you have photos because its not just your bike you can claim for but also accessories which as I found can add up to bit and the more evidence for the insurance company the better. I now have receipts, photos, frame number, receipts etc. .

classic33

Leg End Member
I've photo's of the current cycles, as they were bought and as they are in use.

Receipts for everything fitted, when in use. Bike receipt is kept at home, safe.

Top Bottom