Recommendations for decent winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CentralCommuter

After looking at various bikes for a winter roadie for commuting, I think I'm going for the Triban 520 on the C2W scheme. I phoned Decathlon and the only wheels they had that they could put on it for me were £550. Mental!

So, if I go for the Triban at £730, what wheels would be a solid performer to put on it? What are the go to winter wheels for commuters on road bikes, if there is such a thing!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd use the wheels that come with the Triban as 'winter' wheels and spend the money on a decent set. Basically they're wheels you don't mind wearing faster or getting a bit damaged.

You'll get a better set of wheels for good weather from about £250 new.

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

I would, but they are impossible to get the tyre off and back on in the case of a puncture. Have phoned Decathlon who said they were aware of the issue but unfortunately can't supply the bike with a different wheel. So if I want the bike, I need new wheels!

winjim

Smash the cistern
I would, but they are impossible to get the tyre off and back on in the case of a puncture. Have phoned Decathlon who said they were aware of the issue but unfortunately can't supply the bike with a different wheel. So if I want the bike, I need new wheels!
That doesn't make any sense. If that's what they've told you I would look elsewhere.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So, if I go for the Triban at £730, what wheels would be a solid performer to put on it? What are the go to winter wheels for commuters on road bikes, if there is such a thing!

. So if I want the bike, I need new wheels!

You're seriously contemplating spending £730 on a commuting hack, plus an immediate change of wheelset??. I reckon you need a reality check, not new wheels!

You're choosing to make a massive issue about possibly having to fix a puncture. Most people who want reliability, just fit a set of Marathons and if they are really belt & braces, they might go for the nuclear option of M+ and inject some sealant into the inner tube.

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/m...lset-with-160mm-rotors-12mm-thru-axle.253247/ ?

But I’d just get the Merlin Malt for £700 with usable wheels. It’ll be cheaper as you won’t need wheels and 105 seems like expensive over kill for a bad weather commuter bike

Why not actually go to a decent Decathlon branch at a quiet time of day with your preferred tyre levers and explaining the situation, ask if you can have a go at taking the tyres off and on. I can’t imagine every wheel has the same issue. They must be getting the tyres on somehow at the factory/workshop!

Last edited:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Is it disc?

I recommend Hunt X Mason 4season for winter use. I have them on my winter bike.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By all means get some new wheels if you want. I always get mine built by my LBS so I can't advise on that other than to say that 105 hubs and OpenPro rims do me fine all year round.

That said, I find it hard to believe that getting the tyre off/on is as much of a problem as you think. Lots of people have Triban bikes and I've never heard of this being a big issue. Maybe try working on your technique (push the bead well down into the rim well opposite where you are putting it on) and/or try some new levers, eg a VAR lever.

BigMeatball

There's a ton of bikes out there better than the triban and with better wheels that won't give you any headaches if you get a puncture.

It's worth mentioning that we're entering that time of the year where 2020 models will likely come out or at least be announced so I would expect discounts on the 2019 models.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you really want this bike and new wheels, discuss handbuilts with Spa. They’ll build you something strong with plenty of spokes

Top Bottom