Recommendations for kids bike 24" wheels / 140cm child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
LittleKnees currently has a Decathlon 20" bike, which she rather likes, but it is rather heavy - it has 6 gears but she told me that she's never used 4 5 or 6, and I've noticed that even on the flat she's in 2nd. This may be an issue with it being over-geared too (I've not counted teeth) but the heft of the bike is evident when she has to pick it up or push it up a kerb or whatever. According to Decathlon it weights 12kg, which in terms of bike weight:rider weight ratio is rather like me riding a 34kg bike.

So, I'd like her to have something lighter because she's outgrowing it anyway. The 24" Decathlon ones get to silly weights (c.14kg) because they add suspension and all sorts so they are out, and she likes having a 'girls' frame because she can wear skirts. She isn't in to mountain biking, but we do ride on tracks and trails in the woods and so on.

I can't really find anything that fits the brief. Women's framed mountain bikes seem now to all be made from low grade steel and so are weighty, and also come with pointless front shocks. Isla Bikes are nice, but expensive (and I know they retain value well) and also quite steal-able (school bike 'shed' is not the most secure) plus they have a diamond frame, albeit the top tube slopes a fair bit.

So, I'm just asking for recommendation in case I've missed that manufacturer x has just brought out exactly what I'm looking for - an aluminium framed 24" bike with a 'girls' frame with rigid forks, chunky but not massive wheels and sensible gearing, all for a reasonable price.

screenman

Legendary Member
Isla bikes.

Just read the reasonable price bit, the thing with Isla bikes is they hold their value well.

Have you looked at Frog Bikes? Miss Spesh has had 3 good years out of a Frog bike (and having tried Mum's small MTB is still convinced she doesn't need a new bike yet despite my prompting!). They're ali-frames with small-hand-friendly levers etc and the 24" wheel one 'only' weighs 9kg.

Edit - and checking the Frog website, they come with hybrid and offroad tyres as standard ^_^

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for the suggestions - I like the idea of the Frog ones coming with two sets of tyres, and she does like purple ... That Pinnacle looks like it would pass the 'not a diamond' frame test too. I'm not averse to a second-hand one (and nor is she) so it's good to have names to search for.

The Rover

Guru
We've just bought the boys second frog bike, didn't hesitate after the quality of the first one. Have a look in the family section. Quite a few pics there.

Broadside

Guru
We've got two Frog bikes, one being a 24" wheel bike, they really are very good bikes and some of the best value around.

Hoy also do some very nice 24" bikes, very similar to Frog, nice and light and about the same price.

Top Bottom