Recumbents and Pee Breaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Something that I had not thought about before but on my last recumbent trip I found myself stopping for a leak every 30 or 40 minutes which was annoying because it resulted in me having to look for potential stop sites rather than just enjoying the ride. Also bearing in mind that the Linear has the stealth capability of The Arrival of The Queen of Sheba it’s not so easy to just stick it in the hedge and nip round for some relief. This has some implications if I want to go off for a few days later this year and cover some miles. I would need to keep hydrated but don’t want to have to spend too much travelling time lurking in the shrubbery instead.

I haven’t been riding my upright so much since I got this Linear but despite not having the greatest bladder capacity in the world I used to do better than that when out on it.

Have other recumbentists any observations on this phenomenon?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I experience similar issues and plan my routes accordingly. For me it’s probably the worst of the pitfalls of trike ownership.

Can't see it being more of a problem really than with an upright bike.
If it bothers you, with all that frame to play with/integrate gubbins into, and that prone position, I'm sure someone could rig something up to extract whatever on the move and spray it onto the fields you're passing.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can't see it being more of a problem really than with an upright bike.
If it bothers you, with all that frame to play with/integrate gubbins into, and that prone position, I'm sure someone could rig something up to extract whatever on the move and spray it onto the fields you're passing.
On the bike I could just stand with the bike and guarantee that the first car for ages will suddenly appear.
The trike can be a problem as my balance is not good and I have to get out of it hopefully with something solid for support. I have to move away from the trike as the wind always changes direction towards it as soon as the flow starts.:ohmy:

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have no intention of spraying anything anywhere. I'm sure we've all had a face full of screen wash at some time. However, if all else fails, I could adapt a "pilot's friend" or the type of device used by paragliders.

Just roll up in a layby at a roadside drain, extend the tube, do what you have to do, stand up to allow for emptying the tube, roll it up and clip it to your belt, and be on your way with nobody any the wiser. The bike is low enough, don't even have to get off the bike. Fine in theory, maybe not so straightforward in practice. Potentially a great time saver. If I get as far as testing one, I'll post the details.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Just pondering the er, pissibility that it might. Just read the OP. Seems clear enough to me. If enough recumbent riders reply, we might be able to get a broad view, with the caveat that people ride recumbents for different reasons, and age could be a factor, and of course all opinions are subjective. You are using different muscles, you breathe differently ("belly breathing") and your weight is supported differently than on an upright.
Your kidneys would continue to work if you were standing on your head but I wonder if the effect of lying down while exercising has any effect on their output. Might not have much effect on a 20 year old, but I'm 69 next week. So perhaps I'm suggesting it makes me pee more.

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
1st thing my 73 year old Mum does after a ride on the recumbent is go for a pee. She’s always gone on about having the constitution of an ox, but the vibrations she feels on the recumbent seem to effect her bladder.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
a bit off topic, but mate & i were stood at side of country lane having a pee when I hear the clip clop of an approaching horse, sure enough horse and female rider appear from bridle way. I doubt the low-ish hedge did much to shield our modesty, not we were fussed. I shouted a cheery "good morning and apologies " and we all carried on....

I remember Andy Wilkinson bringing his record breaking LEJOG recumbent to the local cycling cafe - not long after he'd taken the record.

Lovely looking thing with the full fairing - completely different from any other bike there.

Mate of mine was fascinated by a bit of piping underneath - he grasped it to examine it closer to see if he could fathom what it's purpose was.

"That's for the pee"...

Mate clip clopped off to wash his hands.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
A bit of bodywork (like a cape or long jacket) gives opportunties for relieving oneself inoffensively in a world where everyone has a camera phone and an an inclination to be offended on someone else's behalf.

Top Bottom