Red flags with people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
People who want their own way all the time and wont compromise with other friends etc. So you have to go to the exact places they want or they wont go otherwise. I think if you just want your own way all the time then you are better off doing things by yourself.

Once upon a time, I dated (briefly) a chap who texted me with ‘what are you up to today’ type texts. Pretty harmless as it was mostly work, work, more work. Until I replied ‘lunch with the ladies’ where upon he wanted me to send a selfie with them. Erm, no. I don’t think so. He then accused me of being on a date with another chap.

I didn’t bother explaining anything, or replying. Block mobile, email, landline. Bye.
That’s a red flag for me.
Yup - that counts as a ref flag

along with a full set of red flashing lights and a flybe of the Red Arrows training red smoke

Well out of that one

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Once upon a time, I dated (briefly) a chap who texted me with ‘what are you up to today’ type texts. Pretty harmless as it was mostly work, work, more work. Until I replied ‘lunch with the ladies’ where upon he wanted me to send a selfie with them. Erm, no. I don’t think so. He then accused me of being on a date with another chap.

I didn’t bother explaining anything, or replying. Block mobile, email, landline. Bye.
That's a massive red flag, like painted on the side of a massive building sized

Anyone who insists that we drink in rounds. Usually its someone with a drinking problem who gets validation when everyone else is forced to drink at their pace.
Added to which is anyone who makes derogatory comments when someone ducks out of a round or only wants a half
especially if the comments challenge whether or not they are a 'real man' - add homophobic content for extra redness

Probably not so common nowadays

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

You were wise to dump immediately. I’ve read about so many who have tried to control their partner and cut them off from their friends and family. Wanting to know what you are doing and with whom all the time is a big red flag. If a relationship doesn't have trust and respect it is founded on quicksand.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The fake sympathy thing - have had this a small number of times from both men and women*

An attempt to bring you down for wierd psychological reasons of their own - usually/very often in circumstances where you have no need of even genuine sympathy.

Toxic.

(* being of a certain age I sometimes wondered whether the odd woman indulging in this has been somewhat modelled/influenced by those dolls you used to be able to get - where you could make them cry then gain validation by stopping them - never understood those as even as a 60s kid :smile:)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
tiny%2Btears%2B4.jpg
Tiny tears

OP
OP
Blue Hills
agh!
creepy.
Don't tell me they haven't warped a generation or two.

I once knew someone who would eat stuff while going round a supermarket
She would just pick up pork pie - eat it as she went round and then just put the empty wrapper on a random shelf

I ended up picking the wrapper up and insisting it was scanned through anyway

she used to go mad because "They can;t do anything so they can't stop you!!!!!!"

she had more ref flags that the the AGM of the Chinese Communist Party

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I once knew someone who would eat stuff while going round a supermarket
She would just pick up pork pie - eat it as she went round and then just put the empty wrapper on a random shelf

I ended up picking the wrapper up and insisting it was scanned through anyway

she used to go mad because "They can;t do anything so they can't stop you!!!!!!"

she had more ref flags that the the AGM of the Chinese Communist Party
I think supermarkets used to call these folk "grazers" - I plead guilty to sampling the odd loose nut in my past - one of my local Lidls has wised up and has a notice specifically advising against this.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My wife and I have friends (man and wife) who are often openly criticising each other in our presence. Sure, it's uncomfortable but we take it as a sign that they're comfortable with us. It's a kind of game they have, jousting with each other. She is outspoken, never shy to voice her opinion, and sometimes contrary, with intriguing contradictions (she likes Jeremy Corbyn and Donald Trump, go figure!) He's quick witted and erudite. An evening with them is always entertaining!

I guess my point is that what one might consider a red flag in one context is not in another.

I recall a trip sharing a holiday cottage and a couple whose turn it was to cook were bickering quite loudly. I was single back then so perhaps not as diplomatic on domestic matters as I am now so shouted "stop bickering!" There was a long silence, and I realised I might have said the wrong thing when the chap put his head round the door, and with an evil grin on his face said "but we like bickering". We all laughed so all was well

Profpointy

Legendary Member

creepy at best ! Well swerved that one

Top Bottom