Red light jumping - a confession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
blazed said:
Dayum i burned rubber out there bet most people thought i was on a motorbike.
Started hammering it down like a bitch as well but i plowed through it.

3772543401_dd95e2a546_o.png
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3772543401_dd95e2a546_o.png

thomas

the tank engine
skwerl said:
USA. Some minor junctions have the lights turned off when it's quiet and just have single, constantly-flashing amber warning light. I doubt it's to help ped and cyclists though - no such thing over there - it's just to allow traffic to treat the junction like a 4-way stop.

Vietnam too...not that red lights meant stop all the time :biggrin:

I find it different out there especially when I cycled in Bangkok.Seems to be more tolerance for cyclists...not some ahole cab driver who's got the hump.I only had one dodgy pass over there by a cabbie ironically.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
I find it different out there especially when I cycled in Bangkok.Seems to be more tolerance for cyclists...not some ahole cab driver who's got the hump.I only had one dodgy pass over there by a cabbie ironically.

It's a different culture. Certainly in Vietnam, everyone wants to be first, but everyone moves quite gradually so you can easily avoid each other. When I was on the back of a motobike taxi in Hanoi we had a girl cut us up (driver had to push hard on the brakes to stop), but he didn't get himself worked up, just a few words to himself in Vietnamese. Over here he'd of been honking and swearing.

joch

skwerl said:
if there a red light at a pedestrian crossing, and no pedestrians anywhere near, and the road ahead is completely empty, then can I drive through in my car?

can you kill or seriously injure someone if hit at low speed with a bike? I think there needs to be more common sense in discussions like this!

thomas

the tank engine
joch said:
can you kill or seriously injure someone if hit at low speed with a bike? I think there needs to be more common sense in discussions like this!

Not if there isn't anyone there to hit. Ped crossings should all have sensors so they don't stay red when there isn't a need to be.

Cut up quite badly on the ride in by a 53 bus on Blackfriars Bridge just because he couldn't be patient enough to slow down.ffs I wasn't far from the bus stop.I wasn't surprised really as i had looked behind me and I saw this big red thing bearing down on me.Not really the point though is it?
It's part of the London culture of couldn't give a t055.As far as im concerned all this rljing,5h1t driving and mobile phone use are all the same.

Jake

were you using your airhorn thingy? about 10.40 this morning?

Jake

ah right, i was in the other lane going north and heard your horns go, had a glance over and saw a bus infront of you ;)

Jake said:
ah right, i was in the other lane going north and heard your horns go, had a glance over and saw a bus infront of you ;)

Nice to meet you.I was making a mountain out of a molehill.I was going to use London Bridge but a ped distracted me asking for directions to Fenchurch Street. :-)

Jake

likewise. Cant remember what you looked like or what you were wearing though lol. Think it was a road bike and maybe you had some fluorescent jacket?! I did think at the time, the horns sounded a bit out of breath ;) Always around that kinda area about that time.

Jim_Noir

On my comutte to work, there is one red light I have jumped twice. It's a a boozer called "The stab in" used to be called "The flying bottle". So one Saturday night I am sitting at the lights and I hear *smash* "Lets stab the **** on the bike" loksa round to see no other person on a bike and decide that I have better odds in a me v number 9 bus then me v the neds... so off I go... another time I come up to the boozer on the night of an old firm match, again though the t-bone from the number nine was going to be less painfull ;)

Top Bottom