'Red mist' moment - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Cycling back form the city yesterday, I was waiting at some traffic lights. They went green and I took off. The car that had been on my immediate right decided he was going to turn immediately left in front of me and completely cut me up. I yelled 'You stupid old b*****d - !' at the driver who simply carried on.
The red mist decended - ! :gun: I decided that I should have a few words with said driver , so I took off after him. I was steaming - ! :cursing:
Thus I pursued him along one street, down another, into a car park ( ahh, got him I thought - ! ) which he drove around and exited, obviously fully aware by now that I intended to exchange views on his driving skills.
He accelerated hard down the next street and I eventually lost him on a main road.
I was however, quite pleased with myself considering that over half of said pursuit was on cobbled surfaces on a Brompton - ! :thumbsup: :rofl:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Chill

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Had a potential left-hooker on my way into work last week and you can't make up the level of stupidity that exists!

I filtered towards the front of a queue waiting at lights for a crossroad and then stopped just behind the front car but well in view of the second car in the line, perfect position to quickly follow the front car across the junction. When the lights changed the 1st car then proceeds a bit gingerly, obviously aware they have a bicycle somewhere beside/behind them as they will have had my 1 x constant & 1 x flashing front lights in their left mirror all the time we were sat waiting. Despite being aware but unsure of my presence I'm confident you can guess what they did next? Yep, proceeded to turn left without once indicating while waiting at the junction or performing the turn!
Luckily I expect this kind of Tomdickery so had hung back rather than racing down the large gap they left on their nearside before making the turn.

In situations like this all you can do is bite your tongue (or not :whistle:), take the necessary avoiding manoeuvre, shake your head in disgust and carry on regardless. You have to let it go because you are not going to educate these people (Trust me, I have tried and IT DOES NOT WORK!).

Just be smug that your superior road skill and awareness is keeping you from being taken out by their ignorance/stupidity/carelessness*

(*delete as appropriate)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’ve done this on the school run and the perpetrator turned out to be a neighbour’s son. I tore a strip off his 6’+, 20 stone frame. His mum was horrified.

I felt awful all day and had to avoid the family for a while. But I reckon he won’t try what he did ever again.

Not recommended behaviour. It could have gone very wrong. I haven’t had a red mist since either.

We just need decent infrastructure and these events would be needless.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’ve done this on the school run and the perpetrator turned out to be a neighbour’s son. I tore a strip off his 6’+, 20 stone frame. His mum was horrified.

I felt awful all day and had to avoid the family for a while. But I reckon he won’t try what he did ever again.

Not recommended behaviour. It could have gone very wrong. I haven’t had a red mist since either.

We just need decent infrastructure and these events would be needless.
Sadly, I've seen more than one nobber pull away from the carriageway stop line when the CYCLEWAY green light came on and then left hook multiple cyclists (no collisions yet - just lots of shouting). Even in places with decent infra, we'll still need roads policing for the foreseeable.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sadly, I've seen more than one nobber pull away from the carriageway stop line when the CYCLEWAY green light came on and then left hook multiple cyclists (no collisions yet - just lots of shouting). Even in places with decent infra, we'll still need roads policing for the foreseeable.

Yes. There’s a light sequence on the new cycle route through Bristol where cycles get a green light, but the bus lane from the other direction is still green. There will be death. No doubt. Then they’ll ‘think’ about changes.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That's the sort of thing that frustrates - best intentions, badly executed (pun intended)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some day an arsshole driver will cut up Kenneth Noye on a Brompton.

This...
Some members on here keep on going on about what if the car driver was etc... as if all cyclists are a soft touch. well, what if the shoe was on the other foot?
I will have to try find the bike cam of a car driver having a go at a cyclist and 'wanting some' and the cyclist obliging, the driver very quickily backed down.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes. There’s a light sequence on the new cycle route through Bristol where cycles get a green light, but the bus lane from the other direction is still green. There will be death. No doubt. Then they’ll ‘think’ about changes.
I don't know the problem with that particular junction but there's nothing particularly unusual about green lights being shown to conflicting traffic. Green only means you may go, not that the way is definitely clear. There are still plenty of crossroads which show greens to traffic from opposite entries to all exits, such as the A38 / A371 at Sidcot (unless it's changed recently).

Not that it matters much on a bike because even if you are completely certain that a motorist has a red light, you still have to wait and check they've stopped because them jumping red doesn't make the collision hurt any less :sad:

Top Bottom