Reflective Clothing Psychology - Your Thoughts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I like riding at night - mostly unlit country lanes - and I haven't made much of an effort outside of being legal. My pedals have fore and aft reflectors, I have very good bright StVZO dynamo lighting with a reflector built into the rear rack mounted lamp and the headlamp suitably angled so as not to dazzle. Both lights have a standlight feature. Sometimes I have other reflective surfaces on clothing or bags but this is not actively pursued when purchasing said clothing or bags. I do feel better making hand signals if the gloves/forearms/cuffs have reflective elements. My tyres have the reflective sidewalls (again, not actively pursued) and I have to say that on seeing bikes so equipped when I've been a car passenger at busy large urban junctions, they are very noticeable even amongst the plethora of lights, reflectors and wet-tarmac reflections.

My lights are always in steady mode and my personal unscientific observation/impression is that I get more consistent consideration from motor vehicle drivers at night than in the day - so much so that I feel safer - but this might also be due to my being more aware of them on winding country lanes before they are in sight because I can see their lights and hear the vehicles too (I find it easier to hear motor vehicles at night, maybe because it's quieter then and there's fewer of them). I think they might be generally driving more cautiously too.

I really do feel that good lights and reflectors that meet the legal requirement not only should be good enough for the job but are good enough and if another road user doesn't see you with these, then to a great extent, anything beyond the legal requirement (whilst staying legal) is not going to be a game-changer.

I've always felt uncomfortable about the modern practice of putting white/silver reflectors on the back of clothing and bags rather than red/orange/yellow reflectors.

Alex321

Veteran
Forget lights. Lights are rubbish, bright ones in the city especially so. I ride with thirtyish year old vistalite and it's beautifully dim.

Reflectors are great. The Jiu Jitsu of illumination, use your enemy's strength against them. Passive yet dynamic, and more eye catching than lights. Pedal reflectors are especially great but if you want to go further than required then biomechanical ones that emphasise the human shape.

I really hate bright lights, did I mention that?
If you ride without decent lights, then you cannot have ridden anywhere with traffic. Otherwise you would forcibly be no longer be riding.

They are orders of magnitude more important than reflectors.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did someone say hi-vis is no good at night? Every hi-vis I've seen had reflective panels for darkness!

Although I'd say Proviz jackets (and similar) are the best at night; amazingly conspicuous in a really eye-catching manner, although they bring a fair amount of discomfort so I rarely wear mine

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Rode Motorcycles for 35yrs and never worn dayglo and don't on pushbikes, not convinced it makes you more visible to be honest.
Plus, you look a tw*t.
Looking at road traffic collision stats, I'd say (in)visibility of motorcyclists is a massive problem that needs addressing.
Daygo won't do it but might make a contribution.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did someone say hi-vis is no good at night? Every hi-vis I've seen had reflective panels for darkness!

Although I'd say Proviz jackets (and similar) are the best at night; amazingly conspicuous in a really eye-catching manner, although they bring a fair amount of discomfort so I rarely wear mine
I get the feeling that many expect the lighter colour makes them stand out as much at night as it does during the day.

The advantage to a lighter colour during daylight hours is the contrast it can provide. At night the colour disappears in the lighting, leaving the reflective strips to make them stand out. Saturn Yellow all but disappeared under the sodium lights and is worse under LED lighting.

tinywheels

Über Member
Looking at road traffic collision stats, I'd say (in)visibility of motorcyclists is a massive problem that needs addressing.
Daygo won't do it but might make a contribution.
your riding style will make the most difference. drivers often fail to realise how rapid a motorcycle is,in relation to their trundling boxes. Defensive mentality will stand you in good stead.

Julia9054

Guru
Picked up a Proviz jacket in TKMaxx for £10 a few years ago. Someone had mistakenly put a women’s size 10 on the men’s rail so no one had bought it hence the reduction.
It looked amazing - reflective panels and battery operated light up ones. I looked like Tron. Unfortunately it was the sweatiest thing it was possible to wear. The last straw came when the pocket zip jammed fast with my keys inside and I had to cut it open. In the bin with that, thank goodness I hadn’t paid full price.

tinywheels

Über Member
Picked up a Proviz jacket in TKMaxx for £10 a few years ago. Someone had mistakenly put a women’s size 10 on the men’s rail so no one had bought it hence the reduction.
It looked amazing - reflective panels and battery operated light up ones. I looked like Tron. Unfortunately it was the sweatiest thing it was possible to wear. The last straw came when the pocket zip jammed fast with my keys inside and I had to cut it open. In the bin with that, thank goodness I hadn’t paid full price.
showers pass make far superior wear,expensive but worth it. why compromise I say.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

They're two different things, hi-viz refers to a range of colours that appear intensely bright when natural light hits them (typically yellow orange red and pink) The lack of natural light at night makes such colours appear dull if not dark.

Reflectives on the other hand can be placed on any colour garment (yep even black)

Top Bottom