Reflective Clothing Psychology - Your Thoughts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So 0

As the night closes in sooner every passing day, the leaves are falling and the freaky night cyclists emerge from the depths (me included!)... :smile:

What are the current thoughts on reflective clothing?

Based on a lot of evidence, studies and other people's viewpoints I am inclined to believe the following...

- Yellow High Viz is so overused these days that people are basically mentally blanking it out
- From riding motorcycles and cycles for many years I am of the opinion that you could be wearing a full size Mr Blobby outfit, and if they ain't gonna see you, they ain't gonna see you.
- Movement reflectives (Pedals / leg bands) may help the issue
- ProVis is excellent but like riding in a binbag in terms of sweating
- Lights lights lights (I ride with lights even in the daytime as they are hard wired in anyway)

Now I will sit back and wait for you all to tell me how wrong I am :laugh::becool::bicycle:

I resisted the hi vis for years.

Nasty colours .

In my younger days I used to regularly ride the lanes at night with no lights.
Naughty I know, but it's all so beautiful once you've got your night vision working.

A few snowy moonlit night rides were just magical..
Like Narnia!!

And I'd just stop if I saw a motor vehicle with lights coming..

Nowadays I'm a bit older and even a possibly a bit more boringer --

plus I made my kids wear hi vis and use lights so...

Altogether, I do feel more visible in high Vis, whatever the science says, so tend to wear it more often than not..

And the roads are definitely busier.

I think feeling more visible makes me feel more like I can take up my space with more confidence.

i mostly use a zip up yellow/ orange gilet, with reflective strips .

tights have reflective strips.

And I use non flashing lights.

fwiw as a sometimes car driver I find the super bright bike lights a bit dazzling to the point of confusion.

Ok so I might see you , but another rider with 'standard lights' alongside may get lost in the glare.

Alex321

Veteran
The one I fail completely to understand is long distance cycle routes, 90% traffic free and still the helmet, hi viz, lights gubbins?
I will always wear a helmet - never mind other traffic, I can make a mistake myself leading to a body/ground interface.

And if it is at all dull, and there will be ANY traffic on my route, then at least a (flashing) rear light.

sasquath

I will always wear a helmet - never mind other traffic, I can make a mistake myself leading to a body/ground interface.

And if it is at all dull, and there will be ANY traffic on my route, then at least a (flashing) rear light.
I second that, only time I needed an helmet was on forest lane(gravel covered tarmac) with no traffic ever. Digging thumb size stones from helmet was quite a shocker for my ridemates...

Mr Celine

Discordian
View attachment 610476
I like lights, 2 front, 2 rear plus flashing bar ends if needed too. And additional reflective tape on both mud flaps.
I do like the fully reflective jackets too, can’t remember the name of the one Mrs SnG has….
I think the more the better, especially on dark country lanes….
After, anything that can attract attention raises the possibility that a driver might see you.
Lights don’t have to be dazzling… just there….
A set up so good you rode all the way to the funeral director to purchase a pre-paid funeral plan...
^_^

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I don't wish to be part of a hi-vis arms race that pedestrians and cyclists can't win. Like @winjim, I loathe bright lights. You need a bright front light for night-time riding if you are either off-road, or out in the sticks at the front of the peleton. Everwhere else they are just a pain in the arse to others. Don't even start me on people with strobe front lights. So I initially took a shine (IYSWIM) to retroreflectives, as I hate flouro colours - I bought one of those ProViz 360 jackets quite early on. One of their more entertaining effects is that they set off all the automatic taps and toilet flushes when you walk past, as I found at a motorway services stop on the Southend ride a few years back. You can play Poltergeists. I liked the idea that the responsibility for illumination lay with vehicle drivers - you could be an inconspicuous and stylish silver-grey until someone directed their vehicle at you, and then you would reflect their own light back at them in a 'Here I am, Motherf****r' kinda way. Then I was reading a Bez blog about the proliferation of retroreflectives and the auto industry's exploration of their role in facilitating driverless technology - I think it was occasioned by Volvo trying to push retroreflective spray paint for cyclists - and I decided I'd been had. If I wasn't such a tightwad I'd have chucked the jacket away, but as someone said upthread, they are very warm, so I still keep if for sub-zero temperatures. We all need to dim the lights and enjoy the moonlight.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If you ride without decent lights, then you cannot have ridden anywhere with traffic. Otherwise you would forcibly be no longer be riding.

They are orders of magnitude more important than reflectors.
Decent is subjective. My rear light I would say is decent. Nearly thirty years old and slightly knackered, but still decent enough.

Big bright flashers, if anything, are indecent. But then most of my night time riding is commuting in a built up area, with streetlights, so lights aren't really necessary.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to have a bright yellow cycling raincoat (it wasn't reflective, but was hi-viz). I felt more visible when wearing it, but since it got knackered and binned, I reverted to wearing whatever; black, green, grey... I don't feel any less visible.

I feel more visible if I'm wearing stripes than a block colour, or a T shirt with a big bold print on the back... but regardless of how visible i feel, I've no real idea of how visible I am. That is down to other road users; are they being observant enough to ensure my safety?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Decent is subjective. My rear light I would say is decent. Nearly thirty years old and slightly knackered, but still decent enough.

Big bright flashers, if anything, are indecent. But then most of my night time riding is commuting in a built up area, with streetlights, so lights aren't really necessary.

I've taken to a bit of city night riding again just lately.

After a long break where it was mainly just dark dark lanes.

It's quite a different experience isn't it ??

I'm not very brave at it yet, everything is so busy and fast, and I feel a bit invisible.

Give me pitch black lane with a 'normal' light showing the way, any day (night)

I guess I might end up going for for flashing after all.

I don't know, is it all just going to escalate, brightness wise, until we've all just burnt each others retina out...:wacko:

Alex321

Veteran

Decent mean bright enough to be seen, given the prevailing conditions.

A rear light (ideally flashing) is MORE necessary in areas with street lights than on unlit roads (though legally required after dark on all roads). A front light that actually lights up the road, however, is only needed on unlit roads or trails.

Flashing lights don't need to be stupidly bright, it is the flash that attracts attention.

The main problem is motorists not looking where they are going and there isn't an awful lot we can do about that. The problem with asking such questions on a cycling forum is that it all gets a bit tribal - why should we have to wear reflective gear ? Why can't poor drivers be appropriately punished.

IMO despite some research to the contrary - I wouldn't go out cycling even in daytime with the stealth look.
I err towards brighter colours - and nearly always ride with a daylight flasher.

I generally wear either a hi-vis coat/vest or a colourful t-shirt when riding
First sign of any reduction in in light and I put on 2 front lights and 2 rear lights
in both cases one flashing and one steady

I read somewhere that people have problems judging distance from flashing lights and that is why legally you should have a steady light.
If it gets dark I have 2 more lights at each end if I need them. One of the front lights is quite bright so is only used on dark paths or when pointed quite low - away from the sight line of any cars so as to avoid dazzling them

No idea if it works - but it seems better than nothing
However, it is naff all use of the driver doesn;t look which is where defensive driving/riding helps out. I assume no-one will deliberately drive into me (I'm an optimist!!!) and if I'm directly in their path with a light pointed right at them then they will see me (see - more optimism!)

Before winter I aim to get a light for my helmet (which is bright white) and some reflective tape for my mudguards

AT the very least - when I get run over and someone says SMIDSY I want to be able to point out as many things as possible!

Of course - we shouldn;t have to - but there you are

Alex321

Veteran
I generally wear either a hi-vis coat/vest or a colourful t-shirt when riding
First sign of any reduction in in light and I put on 2 front lights and 2 rear lights
in both cases one flashing and one steady

I read somewhere that people have problems judging distance from flashing lights and that is why legally you should have a steady light.
Legally, you no longer need to have a steady light. That law was changed quite a few years ago.

But yes, it can be hard to judge the distance of a flashing light. Having said which, the flashing light is more noticeable to start with, and I'd rather the motorist see me in the first place.

If it gets dark I have 2 more lights at each end if I need them. One of the front lights is quite bright so is only used on dark paths or when pointed quite low - away from the sight line of any cars so as to avoid dazzling them

No idea if it works - but it seems better than nothing
However, it is naff all use of the driver doesn;t look which is where defensive driving/riding helps out. I assume no-one will deliberately drive into me (I'm an optimist!!!) and if I'm directly in their path with a light pointed right at them then they will see me (see - more optimism!)

Before winter I aim to get a light for my helmet (which is bright white) and some reflective tape for my mudguards

AT the very least - when I get run over and someone says SMIDSY I want to be able to point out as many things as possible!

Of course - we shouldn;t have to - but there you are

Indeed. It doesn't much matter to us if a driver goes to jail for causing death by careless driving, if we are the dead one :sad:

Staying alive is much more important than any "they should be watching the road ahead".

The one I fail completely to understand is long distance cycle routes, 90% traffic free and still the helmet, hi viz, lights gubbins?

I sometimes ride on a decent traffic free bike path. I do have to ride some nastier roads to get to and from it. If I'm riding in the dark you bet I'm riding with lights and reflectives. In fact even in the day I ride with flashing LEDs.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Decent mean bright enough to be seen, given the prevailing conditions.

A rear light (ideally flashing) is MORE necessary in areas with street lights than on unlit roads (though legally required after dark on all roads). A front light that actually lights up the road, however, is only needed on unlit roads or trails.

Flashing lights don't need to be stupidly bright, it is the flash that attracts attention.
If we're talking legal requirements then of course that includes rear red and pedal reflectors although tbf I'm not sure that any of the lights I own are technically legal as I don't think they're BS marked (or equivalent whatever).

Top Bottom