Regulations on Bridleways....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Grouchfungus said:
Thanks for the replies.

The signs look official.

Square metal prohibition type firmly screwed on.

So I'll be phoning the council tomorrow.

Can you post a photo. That doesn't sound like any official road sign.

Ranger

Just because the sign is metal and screwed on doesn't make it official, they are cheap and easy to get made up. Landowners are not realized a hand painted sign isn't enough to scare these townies off and are getting more professional

You need to get in contact with the Rights of Way team at the County Council, and they will probably ask you for a grid reference of where the signs are.

Another point worth remembering is that a right of way being shown on an OS map doesn't necessarily mean that a right of way legally exists, you have to check something called the definitive map which will be available at the County Council, though most planning authorities have a copy available to look at if you ask really nicely;)

Ranger said:
Just because the sign is metal and screwed on doesn't make it official, they are cheap and easy to get made up. Landowners are not realized a hand painted sign isn't enough to scare these townies off and are getting more professional

You need to get in contact with the Rights of Way team at the County Council, and they will probably ask you for a grid reference of where the signs are.

Another point worth remembering is that a right of way being shown on an OS map doesn't necessarily mean that a right of way legally exists, you have to check something called the definitive map which will be available at the County Council, though most planning authorities have a copy available to look at if you ask really nicely;)

Also noteworthy

It is also a criminal offence to discourage use of a bridleway - by obstructing it, by making it difficult to use, by putting up misleading notices, by giving misleading information verbally, or by using threatening language or actions.
http://www.bridlerides.co.uk/law.html

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
very-near said:
...If not then that could be regarded with the old chestnut 'Furious cycling' under the 1872 licencing act...

Could it?

No, there's no such offence, and not under that act anyway. However, I think bicycles are included in Furious Driving under the Town Police Clauses Act, and I think if you cause injury Wanton and Furious Driving is still an offence under the 1861 Offences Against the Person act.

Can any of the coppers here confirm?

ejls2

OAPA s.35 - Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years, with or without hard labour.

Fairly sure it's still in force but the hard labour bit was done away with in the forties ;)

Brains

Legendary Member
...... and if they are not removed within a week, give the landowner a hand, deliver the signs to his front door

OP
OP
G

Grouchfungus

Bridleways again.

Brains said:
...... and if they are not removed within a week, give the landowner a hand, deliver the signs to his front door

That's an option I suppose....

However, I've discovered quite a bit in the last week.
Got the bit between my teeth with the bridleways in my area. I've discovered about 3km of footpath that is actually Bridleway! The council gave the footpaths higher status in march 2008 after an inquiry and haven't changed the signing.
So I'll be using those now. Upset the landowner further.
I'll be chasing the council up to replace the signs with the Bridleway ones too...
So anyone in the Broxbourne area of Herts can contact me and I'll update you with details....
How many other areas have the same I wonder?

meic

The ramblers association are very good at going out and clearing footpaths and bridleways. They will also repair stiles and replace signs but they do not have bridleway signs. So "by accident" they sign all the bridleways that they work on as footpaths. Clever hey!

OP
OP
G

Grouchfungus

Bromptonaut said:
Cycling is permitted on bridleways unless there is a traffic regulation order prohibiting the activity. The official cycling prohibited sign is circular with red edging (like a speed limit sign). Square signs souns a bit odd - any chance of a digital image?

Digi image enclosed... as long as I've attatched pics ok......

meic said:
The ramblers association are very good at going out and clearing footpaths and bridleways. They will also repair stiles and replace signs but they do not have bridleway signs. So "by accident" they sign all the bridleways that they work on as footpaths. Clever hey!

The Ramblers are some of the most self serving narrow minded and sanctimonious specimens to walk the planet.

Their actions are that of such selfishness, that they don't even bother to disguise it.

They will only be happy when all the cyclepaths, bridleways and BOATS are downgraded to footpaths - fcukking knobs :biggrin:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Grouchfungus said:
Digi image enclosed... as long as I've attatched pics ok......

That is most certainly not official. Apart from the shape, it is in the wrong place i.e. not on its' own post.

Hoddesdon eh? I haven't been that way for a few years. Lets have a local meet out there. :biggrin:

Top Bottom