Remember to change your clocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Perfect Virgo, a bit of clarification might be needed here. He was the Manager of the line from Winnipeg to Churchill, but was travelling from Toronto to Vancouver on the train, and met me within the first hour of leaving Toronto. :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't like the clock going back as it means the phone calls from the UK office will be even later in the evening out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p said:
Off licences though, surely?

Surpringly no! :ohmy: Not in the British sense. All alcohol sales on the island are made by "The Liquor Commision" which also regulates the price and tax I believe. Addiction rates here are very high and there are treatment centres. However drinking is different here so you don't get any of the yobbish behaviour associated with British town centres.

PS: I quit 15 years ago so running out of booze on a Sunday is a thing of the past for me! ;)

rh100

What about people at work - have to do a an extra hour !!

Also, it's interesting to note that different regions used to have a different time to each other, which only really became a problem when railways and telegraph came about. More here.

And here - quote:
There is still a relic of this change; the clock over the old Corn Exchange in Bristol has two minute hands. The black minute hand shows Greenwich Mean Time and the red minute hand shows Bristol time!

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

rh100 said:

I remember when I worked shifts and had to work extra, and it never resulted in the reverse in Spring!

Speicher said:
Perfect Virgo, a bit of clarification might be needed here. He was the Manager of the line from Winnipeg to Churchill, but was travelling from Toronto to Vancouver on the train, and met me within the first hour of leaving Toronto. :laugh:

So a kind of busman's holiday. Thank you Speicher, glad we've cleared that up! :ohmy:

A cross-country train journey is on my list of things to do too. The railway was abandoned on PEI in 1989 and in the 90s they pulled up the tracks which are now about 200 miles of hiking/biking trails. ;)

rh100 said:

Yeap its a 13 hour shift for me tonight:sad:
(Check the time of this post!!)

Anyway the Cornish only have to put the clocks back 50 mins and they will be in time with the rest of the UK:biggrin:

ps I know cos I lived in Saltash for years :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
rh100 said:
Also, it's interesting to note that different regions used to have a different time to each other, which only really became a problem when railways and telegraph came about. More here.

There's a plaque on Winchester town hall stating how far behind Greenwich they are - it's about 5 mins I think.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bay Runner said:
Yeap its a 13 hour shift for me tonight:sad:
(Check the time of this post!!)

Anyway the Cornish only have to put the clocks forward 50 years and they will be in time with the rest of the UK:biggrin:

ps I know cos I lived in Saltash for years :smile:

Corrected.

P.S. I know this because I lived in Exeter for years :laugh:

Perfect Virgo said:
A cross-country train journey is on my list of things to do too.

I had a 55-hour Greyhound Bus journey 20 years ago from Toronto to Calgary in October! It was SOOO boring! Only a joint at cafe stops made things bearable!

One traveller was smoking in the toilet at the back of the bus; the driver stopped, and threw the man off the bus. It was the middle of the night and out in the middle of nowhere! And COLD.

A train journey, though, similar to Michael Palin's, would be an enjoyable experience!

Davidc

Guru
Speicher said:
My clock by the bed is one of those radio-controlled ones that gets a signal from Frankfurt or Dusseldork or similar. As the day goes on, some clocks get altered, if I feel like it.

It'd better be getting it from MSF near Carlisle or you'll be an hour ahead of the rest of us!

Top Bottom