Remember when the Oscars were about films ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks. Now I will venture forth into the Urban Dictionary.:okay:
Ok, I was riffing on this
(cued to start at the remark, but the whole piece is worth your time - but not directly related to the film industry)

View: https://youtu.be/PuNIwYsz7PI?t=150

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Trust the the laser focus of the cyclechat grey-p brigade to find out the real sexism in Hollywood.

Actually there's an interesting discussion to be had about whether gendered awards are inclusive, pro-active or entrenching sexism. MTV recently dropped gendered awards for instance.

Colin_P

Guru
upload_2018-3-7_16-20-11.png

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Interesting

RANKINGS

Actual Top 10

The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
The Dark Knight
12 Angry Men
Schindler’s List
Pulp Fiction
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Fight Club

Gender balanced top 10

The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
The Dark Knight
Schindler’s List
Fight Club
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
12 Angry Men
Inception

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Interesting

RANKINGS

Actual Top 10

The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
The Dark Knight
12 Angry Men
Schindler’s List
Pulp Fiction
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Fight Club

Gender balanced top 10

The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
The Dark Knight
Schindler’s List
Fight Club
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
12 Angry Men
Inception

Load of crap, this film never got a mention,

Best film I ever saw

View: https://youtu.be/7lwqDX3fMzA

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't think any review sites are particularly trustworthy. IMDB was good when it first started, but is a bit of a joke now. Likewise Rotten Tomatoes.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well, I've just left the cinema having watched Oscar winner The Shape of Water. And it's good. Beautifully crafted and sumptuous to look at. But story and script are nothing to write home about and the cynic in me thinks I know exactly why it won the award.

It's a good diverse cast though. There are two women in it, and one of them's even black.

Colin_P

Guru
Well, I've just left the cinema having watched Oscar winner The Shape of Water. And it's good. Beautifully crafted and sumptuous to look at. But story and script are nothing to write home about and the cynic in me thinks I know exactly why it won the award.

It's a good diverse cast though. There are two women in it, and one of them's even black.

Thanks for the review.

Did it have any car, speedboat, motorbike chases, explosions, machine guns, rocket launchers in it and a heavy metal soundtrack? If not, rubbish film.

Actually there's an interesting discussion to be had about whether gendered awards are inclusive, pro-active or entrenching sexism. MTV recently dropped gendered awards for instance.
Sure, but the playing field is much closer to level in music. These days just about anyone can make music and release it, but women are not offered the same juicy, Oscar worthy roles as men.

"...proving there are still great roles in Hollywood for Meryl Streeps over 60."

imagine the ho har if a bloke won it !
Much less than if a woman won it. Women are used to missing out to men. The first time a woman won gold in an open event at the Olympics, they changed it to men only the next time.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks for the review.

Did it have any car, speedboat, motorbike chases, explosions, machine guns, rocket launchers in it and a heavy metal soundtrack? If not, rubbish film.
It's an
erotic
cold war spy thriller
with
monsters.
What more could you want?

Top Bottom