Remind me, what was wrong with friction lever gears.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
what was wrong with mechanical shifting?
More than 25 years old.

Remind me, what was wrong with mechanical shifting?
Steady now. Don't ever think you've seen the pinnacle of anything. Mechanical shifting has its issues. The number of shifting problems related to cable tension and barrel adjusters on this forum alone testifies to that. We all know that cables become gritty and mess with gears. We all know that electric shifting will become cheaper and cheaper.
Although I don't have electric shifting yet, I can foresee that I'll have it one day. Just before I left the industry I installed a couple of Shimano and Campag electric systems for a few of my early-adopter customers and I was impressed. The lever feel was fantastic and the systems proved very robust. Admittedly anything with a battery spells trouble and I hate the fact that the house is full of chargers for this and that and whathaveyou, it isn't really an issue. The day will come when all battery systems use the same charger and every plugpoint in the house will have a built-in charge port and we'll have one cable for all devices.
The day will come when the bike will have just one battery for lights, gears and navigation devices and charging it will be no more bothersome than charging your phone.
I think an electric system is better for the average consumer than a cable system.

si_c

Guru
I use DT shifters daily on my bike with a 10 speed 12-30 block at the back, and it's fine. I do have to make sure that I get into gear when approaching hills, as it can be difficult to change gear sometimes, and on occasion I do find that I've not quite got the gear change right, so it shifts when I stand up and push hard, but overall, it's a system I'm happy with as it's totally maintenance free, and I don't have to worry about setting up the indexing properly ever.

On the other hand sometimes dropping a gear on a hill can be problematic, especially if (as I am wont to do) I am standing. So often I end up treating the bike as semi-fixed gear. I will probably end up changing the gears over to being STIs, as I think ten speed is pretty much the limit of the range I can get out of the shifters, and I have the remaining 11 speed bits from my 105 groupset to put on at some point.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Maybe, nostalgia helps, but friction gear levers seemed to do the job well.
Running out of puff up a hill and having to sit down, reach down, change, fiddle, then start again was massively painful compared to what I do now - let off the pressure a bit and click it down a gear or two (while standing). I'd never go back.

Yes, changing gear up hill seems to be the big disadvantage with friction gear levers, luckily Cheshire is mostly flat, so it's ideal for casual road bike riding with friction gear levers.

The day will come when the bike will have just one battery for lights, gears and navigation devices and charging it will be no more bothersome than charging your phone.
I think an electric system is better for the average consumer than a cable system.
That's the way cars have gone!

And sorry - I hate it. :evil: Give me adjusting contact points any time, rather than track an electrical/electronic fault. But then my favourite drives of all were Series 2 & 3 Landrovers. So probably best to count my opinion out.

I like my current friction-lever riding, and will replace the brifters on one of my bikes with friction bar-end shifters. Put it down to sheer frustration at the bike being off the road because a teeny-tiny bit of finely machined plastic (?) broke, and gummed up the RH brifter. Terminally.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's the only Dura Ace stuff I can afford

26186030996_f7a1898dbc_b.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Steady now. Don't ever think you've seen the pinnacle of anything. Mechanical shifting has its issues. The number of shifting problems related to cable tension and barrel adjusters on this forum alone testifies to that. We all know that cables become gritty and mess with gears. We all know that electric shifting will become cheaper and cheaper.
Although I don't have electric shifting yet, I can foresee that I'll have it one day. Just before I left the industry I installed a couple of Shimano and Campag electric systems for a few of my early-adopter customers and I was impressed. The lever feel was fantastic and the systems proved very robust. Admittedly anything with a battery spells trouble and I hate the fact that the house is full of chargers for this and that and whathaveyou, it isn't really an issue. The day will come when all battery systems use the same charger and every plugpoint in the house will have a built-in charge port and we'll have one cable for all devices.
My comment was an ironic nod to the thread title, really. That said, I do quite like the idea of the bicycle as an entirely mechanical entity. There's something quite satisfyingly pure about it. Of course that's just my preference and my attitude; there's nothing "wrong" with electronic shifting and I'm sure we'll see more and more of it as the technology progresses and becomes cheaper until your "average consumer" can afford it just as well as those who fancy themselves racers.

As for charging, has anyone yet developed an electronic gear shift system that runs off a dynamo? That would be good way to go I think.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My comment was an ironic nod to the thread title, really. That said, I do quite like the idea of the bicycle as an entirely mechanical entity. There's something quite satisfyingly pure about it. Of course that's just my preference and my attitude; there's nothing "wrong" with electronic shifting and I'm sure we'll see more and more of it as the technology progresses and becomes cheaper until your "average consumer" can afford it just as well as those who fancy themselves racers.

As for charging, has anyone yet developed an electronic gear shift system that runs off a dynamo? That would be good way to go I think.

Mavic's foray into electronic shifting in the early nineties used a battery in the shifter only. The rear mech had a capacitator powered by the top jockey wheel which took care of the shifting. The front mech was mechanical. Unfortunately Mavic's R&D budget was probably around what Shimano spend on paper clips so they never got it to work reliably, though Chris Boardman was a fan and used it on some of his bikes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I run 8 speed down tube SIS shifters on my two old bikes. They work and shift super efficiently. I've done a few sportives and heard other folks gears clattering at a hill. More likely down to user set up, but it's not allowed, wasn't in my day.. Get yer gears sorted....

U

User33236

Don't really see the need.

I did 169km (105 miles) a couple of weeks ago and the battery only dropped 10%. At that rate it's 1000 miles or so between charges which isn't that onerous.

Top Bottom