Remind me, what was wrong with friction lever gears.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Yesterday, I spent the day on a road bike with friction lever gears, and they worked perfectly. These are the gears I used for years and years in the 1980's with few problems, I enjoy the new(ish) style gear lever on the brakes, but please remind me, what was the problem with friction lever gears.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Had to take your hand off the bars; right handers would therefore not have fingers on the (in UK) front brake lever; could put finger on tyre or worse, in the wheel; not as many gears so ratios further apart (except in a close ratio block).

Back in the 70s I bought my first racing (ie with drops) bike and it was special (ie not like other people's): it had bar end (friction) shifters. You could just about change with your little finger and still be in reach of the brake levers from the drops. Its Brooks is on my audax bike now, and very comfortable too.

I have not listed the plusses (since you asked for the problems), which were/are several, which I enjoy when out on my old bike in the dry. Perhaps you could list the advantages.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Simply that you had to take your hands of the bars/brakes to change gear which could be a slight loss of control. Also when racing it was a very obvious sign that you might be about to change pace. Other than that ... nothing.
DT/friction shifters never went away. bar end shifters are a common solution for Touring/Audax types due to their simplicity, ease of repair and set-up. On my custom Rourke I had made last year I specified DT shifters for cost, simplicity, low weight, adaptability and ease of use (can also shift a the whole block in one hit).
Love 'em.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Perhaps you could list the advantages.
Nicer feel (completely subjective)
Simplicity of maintenance/repair (less to go wrong, no need for hair-tearing indexing setup)
Obvious and easy way to "trim" the front mech, and easier (IMO) to catch the chain and replace it without stopping if it comes off.
Able to go directly to the gear you want without clicking through intermediates (good when suddenly slowing to a stop and needing to get into low gear for restart).
Less ugly brake levers (completely subjective)
Lighter by a gnat's whisker

It takes me about 2 miles to reprogram my hands and arms when swapping between bikes with different kinds of shifters.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think you have left out the attractive issue of 'control': with friction the rider has more control (examples above) and can enthuse in his/her skill and 'feel' as in 'yes, that's just the place for x sprocket, now a little overshift and then back to the 'right' place'. And if you're not sure where you are in the block/cassette, only need to glance down to vertical, with peripheral vision still there in the direction of travel

You had to get your gear before the hill, as the chances of getting it whilst on the hill diminished rapidly, especially if it was steep and you were needing to honk up. Indexed is brilliant. A momentary ease of pressure, no hands off bars and it'll still change mid-gasp. Very forgiving.

boydj

Legendary Member
Indexed d/t or bar-end shifters had no real advantage over friction shifters and were probably more bother than they were worth. Combining the shifting with the brake levers brought a new level of control and ease of use and this could not be done with friction shifting.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
please remind me, what was the problem with friction lever gears.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. My previous commute bike had a downtube lever (1x8) in friction mode. I reckon it was lower maintenance than fixed, probably cheaper too.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Indexed d/t or bar-end shifters had no real advantage over friction shifters and were probably more bother than they were worth. Combining the shifting with the brake levers brought a new level of control and ease of use and this could not be done with friction shifting.
I've never used indexed dt shifters, and you're right, they seem a bit pointless to me.

Re brifters: I'd agree with the "ease of use bit" I'd imagine there's a significantly bigger learning curve on them than brifters, but not the "level of control". Witness the bodges that they had to make to the left hand shifter to get "trimming" to work.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I liked friction shifters. The no name free BSO I've just got for sons GF to keep at ours effectively has a friction twistgrip for the front triple, it works.

I know gripshift isn't popular with all but it is a hands always on the bars compromise that could have friction shifting on current bikes.

Yesterday, I spent the day on a road bike with friction lever gears, and they worked perfectly. These are the gears I used for years and years in the 1980's with few problems, I enjoy the new(ish) style gear lever on the brakes, but please remind me, what was the problem with friction lever gears.
Not everything made yesterday is better. I'll assume you bemoan the move to index downtube shifters rather than that to brifters. Friction shifters went out the back door because indexing has two distinct advantages.
1) In traffic or other noisy places like tight pelotons you can't listen and hear if your chain is perfectly in gear. When things are quiet you make the small adjustments by ear. When noisy, you have to look down and that is dangerous, especially in the type of environment where you have to look down. I'll rather be in a peloton behind an indexed rider than a retro-grouch friction rider. Also, a slightly misaligned gear is dangerous when you have to get up and pedal hard. An indexed shifter does all that for you without fuss. Lots of people tell you they have, like a trombone player or violinist, developed perfect feel for where the lever should be and thus never make mistakes even in noisy environments. I've also heard that saying bless-you after a sneeze keeps the lions away.
2) The small mechanical improvement of indexing comes at no extra cost, no weight, isn't contrived, cant be seen, isn't bulky, is simple to maintain, rarely fails and makes a satisfying click like the safety catch going off on a 9mm parabellum.
Brifters are a natural progression from that and electronic switches on levers even better. Let's move on. Valve radios are quaint but I can't wait for 20 minutes for the thing to warm up. Inside toilets are also more comfortable than a drafty wooden longdrop in the garden.

Top Bottom