Removing pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roger06

Hi

I want to change the pedals on my bike. I put the current ones on but I cannot get them off! I have a pedal spanner and I know which way each should turn but they are so still and it seems impossible to get any purchase.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Slioch

Guru
You sometimes need a bit of brute force and/or a longer spanner.

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Well I've tried as much brute force as I can muster and tried a pole on the spanner to get more leverage but as the cranks move it seems impossible.

Slioch

Guru
Aahh!
Hopefully someone with a better plan will be along shortly.

Actually, if you've got someone handy them you could put the pedals in the quarter to three position and get them to stand on the pedal whilst you bash away on your pole?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Aahh!
Hopefully someone with a better plan will be along shortly.

Actually, if you've got someone handy them you could put the pedals in the quarter to three position and get them to stand on the pedal whilst you bash away on your pole?
calling @Fnaar !!!

robgul

Legendary Member
... try laying the bike on its side and squirting WD40/GT85/Plus Gas or similar on the thread end of the pedal that you can see from the inside of the crank - leave on its side to allow gravity to work - and repeat the dose (obviously to do both cranks will be separate operations) - then get back on the spanner .. the other alternative is to remove the crank and chainwheel from the BB and clamp them in a vice (with a piece of cloth wrapped round them and a couple of bits of softwood in the jaws to prevent marking) and then renew the attack with a pedal spanner.

Rob

Globalti

Legendary Member
Spraying with WD40 or Plusgas won't make any difference.

Here's how to do it:

Turn the bike upside-down and get it stable. Work out which direction is turning towards the back of the bike. On the LH side that's clockwise and on the RH that's anti-clockwise. Place the spanner on the flats so that it's as close as possible to the crank then put pressure on it so that the force goes "out and back" and the leverage of the crank counteracts the leverage on the spanner. Be careful you don't stab your self on the chainring because to remove the drive side pedal you will be setting the spanner in a rearwards direction. Push down like hell and if necessary tap sharply with a wooden or rubber mallet. These pics might help explain, even though in pic 1 I'm actually tightening:

20150706_204240_zpspxpvht99.jpg

20150706_204021_zpsbidbeyln.jpg

If hand pressure won't work, set the bike upright as in pic 2, stand astride and actually stand on the spanner and bounce. It will go. In pic 2 I'm turning towards the back of the bike to undo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom