Removing stuck pedals: shimano double-sided SPD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bike I bought secondhand yesterday comes equipped with double-sided Shimano SPD pedals. As I ride either on single-sided or flats, I've been trying to remove the blighters. To no avail. They are right royally stuck.

They need an allen key to undo I think, (I can't see any other obvious way), and I really don't want to break my multi-tool by trying to force the issue.

I've have them marinating in WD40 all day, and tried applying heat with a hair dryer, but to no avail.

Any ideas, folks? Or should I admit defeat and see what my LBS can do for me?

Pedals are these or very similar.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Get a decently-long allen key, and a long lever to add onto the end. You've got no chance with a multitool.
Or get thee to the LBS for the Instruments of Doom, Scariness and Leverage...

As above, without the soaking prep. That stuff doesn't work. Companies like ParkTool and BBB and Topeak make allen keys just for that job. The code work is strength and length.

Don't forget that they aren't both righty tighty thread.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They may be unmoveable! I recently had to give up trying to extricate an XT SPD pedal despite having all the right tools.
I will second the advice to ditch the multitool, not really the tool for this job!

By the way, did those SPD cleat bolts arrive ok?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
No, the multitool isn't right for the job, and the bunch of allen keys that I found in the garage are made of cheese. They won't take the leverage needed.

A trip to the LBS might well be in order.

I've received nothing yet, @I like Skol :scratch: Was going to PM you.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Other option is removing the cranks instead. The seller replaced them and the big chain ring with something that suited her better, but kept the originals - which were included in the spares that came with the bike.

But that would still necessitate a trip to the LBS as I don't have the tool to remove the cranks...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I worked in a garage we had some success using Duck Oil as a penetrating fluid.

Hardly worth keeping any for occasional home use.

The other tactic is to shock the thread.

In the case of a screw, you whack the end of the screwdriver hard with a hammer while at the same time applying some twist.

Doesn't do your tools a lot of good, and not easy in this application because you need the fixing held firmly.

https://www.debgroup.com/uk/products/swarfega-duck-oil

Levo-Lon

Guru
You can remove the a actual pedal to expose the axle, then use mole grip or stilson, only if you can't move with a large allen key.

As said a good long Allen key will be your best chance. Leverage with a pipe or ring spanner hooked over the key will do the same job.

I once had the same problem. So I took the cranks off, put in a vice and used the allen key/pipe method. After much brute force I got them off. It was a lesson learnt to periodically undo the pedals and reapply some grease.

its funny isn't it, you've just reminded me that I need to do that with all of my bikes. they have all been out over the winter and need some tlc but this is one of the easier things to do but gets overlooked.

gasinayr

Über Member
I once had the same problem. So I took the cranks off, put in a vice and used the allen key/pipe method. After much brute force I got them off. It was a lesson learnt to periodically undo the pedals and reapply some grease.
Remove the cranks, put the allen key into the vice and use the crank as the lever, pull it back and forwards to free it then unscrew it.
Remember right hand thread on chainring side left hand thread on other side.

The last pair of Shimano SPD-SL pedals I bought were marked with the tighten direction on each pedal, and a recommended torque of 10Nm. It’s been surprisingly helpful in making sure I don’t get them stuck. If they are stuck, I found that locking them in a vice, and using a long Allen key, with a bit of brute force gets them off.

Top Bottom