Removing stuck pedals: shimano double-sided SPD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have a long allen key with a moulded grip which is designed for pedals- even non-stuck ones can be hard to remove using standard allen keys (although that tip from @gasinayr of clamping the allen key in a vice and turning the crank is a good one- I've not thought of doing it that way before)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh and do make double sure you're turning them the right way!
Easy to remember - the right pedal has the 'right' type of thread and the left pedal has the 'wrong' type of thread.

rrarider

Veteran
Easy to remember - the right pedal has the 'right' type of thread and the left pedal has the 'wrong' type of thread.
I don't find it easy, as all I can remember is that bottom brackets and pedals have a different side that is a left hand thread. Every time I have to undo one of these items, I have to refer to the notes that I made on the back page of Richard Ballantine's bicycle book. This of course assumes that I can actually remember where I put the book.

jay clock

Massive member
Just a tip, and don't ask how I know this, but always put the chain on the big ring at the front. Avoids that moment when you slip and almost severe a finger. Only a pillock would do that. The chain in place does protect things a bit

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't find it easy, as all I can remember is that bottom brackets and pedals have a different side that is a left hand thread.
Ok, I've just made up an extension to my reminder - the pedals on the right side have the right type of thread, the pedals on the left side have the wrong type of thread, and ((in brackets!) - bottom bracket threads are the opposite to pedal threads (unless they are Italian style!)) :wacko:

rrarider

Veteran
Returning to the original question - all the Shimano pedals I can spot, appear to have flats on the spindle for accommodating spanner jaws. Wouldn't a good quality (probably 15mm) spanner give you a good purchase on your pedals?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Returning to the original question - all the Shimano pedals I can spot, appear to have flats on the spindle for accommodating spanner jaws. Wouldn't a good quality (probably 15mm) spanner give you a good purchase on your pedals?

No. The higher end mtb spd pedals are allen key only

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Thanks folks... :thumbsup: It's off to the LBS after lunch.

Yep, it's what @ianrauk says - they're allen key only. The bit that will take a spanner is to remove the pedals from the axle. Which I don't want / need to do.

I don't have the right tools i.e. a long allen key with a handle, or failing that, a crank extractor. And since I need to pick up a load of cat food in town anyways, I'm going to chuck the bike in the back of the car and see what a bloke with a bit of brawn and the right tools can do for me.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just a tip, and don't ask how I know this, but always put the chain on the big ring at the front. Avoids that moment when you slip and almost severe a finger. Only a pillock would do that. The chain in place does protect things a bit

This is an excellent tip. Also wear a big thick glove.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
A very nice young man at the LBS, suitably armed with a hefty long-handled allen key, managed to free them. :wahhey: After a bit of swearing... :whistle:

He didn't charge me anything for that, but I went back later and bought a nice pedal spanner / crank extractor combo tool, as I needed one anyways. :smile: Makes sense, as all the other pedals I have need a spanner to undo them rather than an allen key.

And the bike was admired by the bods in the shop. :blush:

Top Bottom