Removing stuck pedals: shimano double-sided SPD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Much easier if they have flats for a long pedal spanner,.but a lot of boiling water immediately before unscrewing them has worked for me in the past.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I've picked up a few good tips for the future, so thanks bods. :okay: CycleChat comes up trumps again. :smile:

Have fitted the Wellgo flats, and once I've got used to the bike, will be swapping those out for the Decathlon Rockrider 500 single-sided SPD jobbies that I also have on the roadie.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh yeah, meant to add...

If pedals aren't marked L & R (the Decathlon ones are, thank goodness), then only remove one from the bike, compare threads with the new ones, find the pedal with the correct thread, and then fit that one first before tackling the other pedal.

As regards pedal markings, the shaft of one pedal is knurled and the other smooth, enabling them to be told apart by feel.

This only applies to pedals with flats for a pedal spanner, the knurled or smooth part is on the curved part of the shaft.

The knurled pedal is the left, non-drive side one.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
As regards pedal markings, the shaft of one pedal is knurled and the other smooth, enabling them to be told apart by feel.

This only applies to pedals with flats for a pedal spanner, the knurled or smooth part is on the curved part of the shaft.

The knurled pedal is the left, non-drive side one.

Went to have a look, because I was curious.

Not the case on the Wellgos, but to be fair, they are repurposed cage pedals with the toe clips removed...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Went to have a look, because I was curious.

Not the case on the Wellgos, but to be fair, they are repurposed cage pedals with the toe clips removed...

I have a pair of flat touring pedals which have a full hex - six flats - and no knurls.

The flat cheapo cage pedals on another bike have two flats - they do have knurls.

silva

Über Member
Wonder why anyone would use locktite, let alone the red one, for pedals. The thread directions alone prevent them from losening.
As was said, prevention is the recommended, when I buy a new bike I take them off, put oil on the thread, and back on. Dealers tend to deliver dry.
Post mortem, it's a matter of a long and sturdy key. I put the bicycle against the wall under a window, the pedal to lose up, the key on it, then while holding the window bank with a hand I step on the pedal with all weight, then I keep on pushing in intervals until it releases. Rammstein song Links 2 3 4 is a good background noise for it.

silva

Über Member
Noone has suggested tha locktite was any part of this issue.

Please quote from upthread where anyone suggested that one could/should use locktite "let alone the red one" on pedal threads.
Read the thread, not just a random post.
I answered the last post, and my "let alone the red one" is an implication from the there mentioned "try heat", since it's the red Loctite requiring heating to break the bond.

ianc6472

Please quote from upthread where anyone suggested that one could/should use locktite "let alone the red one" on pedal threads.

I only mentioned locktite due to the only other reasons for stuck so tight is cross thread or corrosion. Both of these would yield with pressure. Locktite would eventually yield, but as with cross thread, it would take out the threads, need tapping or a new crank and arm! So why not try heat? Surely this is better than taking out the cranks threads??? If heat doesn’t work what have lost?

Top Bottom