Removing stuck pedals: shimano double-sided SPD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I am sure that I have been overtightening pedals. I won't make that mistake again.

I don't think it really matters, yes finger tight will do, but I think the self tightening will eventually get them tighter than a fat blokes vest.

The key is some copper slip / lithium grease on the threads, so nothing bonds, and a decent pedal spanner / proper allen key for leverage when undoing them.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I agree a generous dollop of ant-seize is required, I prefer to use Alum slip rather that a copper based anti-seize . It’s because of something called galvanic corrosion, don’t ask me I’m not a scientist . As Tomo says finger tight is fine . Finally I always use pedal washers , not sure if that makes a difference.

si_c

Guru
I am sure that I have been overtightening pedals. I won't make that mistake again.

I overtightened a set of SPD's once. I had cross threaded it as a consequence of replacing it outdoors in the cold dark and wet, in a hurry I decided the best course of action was to double down in the expectation that it would never come off. I was right it didn't, the pedal body fell off eventually but the axle was still attached.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Aargh - 3 years later and I now have the dreaded stuck double-sided SPD pedal problem! :cursing:

Curse, sulk, pace about, scream, and then finally I had a bright idea...

*** READ THE HEALTH & SAFETY WARNING BEFORE TRYING THIS TECHNIQUE!!!! *** :laugh:
Another key point if you have a seized pedal is to use a proper penetrating oil like PlusGas, not WD40 or GT85 as these are primarily water dispersants and do not penetrate as well. Heat is also your ally, I've a hot air gun that I use on seized pedals, gently heat the crank arm, then promptly try to remove the pedal.

Top Bottom