Repair and repaint Reynolds 753 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
As time went by rims became much stronger and deeper, presumably there was less reliance on the spokes to keep the rim straight.

The aforementioned Medale D'or rims were like butter when not built into a wheel!

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
As time went by rims became much stronger and deeper, presumably there was less reliance on the spokes to keep the rim straight.

The aforementioned Medale D'or rims were like butter when not built into a wheel!

I assume these were your TT wheels? 28 spoke or 32, sounds like 28 would have been ...brave

midlife

Guru
Testing the memory but ran the front at 28 I think. Arc en Ciel were much safer :smile:. Competition were probably most common.

Record du monde went down to 24 spokes!!

Working in a bike shop meant I could get things from reps pretty cheap, especially if they were the demo stuff. Didn't make me go faster though lol

The RJ Chicken rep was a good source of oddities :smile:

Whenever I see radial spoked wheels, especially with a low number of spokes, I just associate them with posing hipsters.
The two sets of wheels I use most are Shimano R500 (mixte) and R550 (Scott roadie). The 500s are 24/20, front radial, rear laced. the 550 is 20 16, much beefier spokes, rear is combination laced/radial, front radial.
As I've said before, I don't ride like a sack o' spuds, more respect for the bike than that. But living here, roads or cycle paths, it's not what you'd call smooth. The R500s have put up with the whole of NCN27, just about, from Ilfracombe down to Plymouth. The only missing bits were on roads. Cattle grids are a normal part of their existence. So while there's no doubting the extra strength of laced wheels, radials are hardly weak if built properly.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I just can't get my head round why anyone would build a wheel that is structurally inferior to a cross laced one and has so few spokes that one failure is going to render the bike unrideable because it will go miles out of true. Even racers used to have sensible wheels years ago. They might have run tubs and lightweight rims but they at least had a realistic number of spokes and lacing.

I just can't get my head round why anyone would build a wheel that is structurally inferior to a cross laced one and has so few spokes that one failure is going to render the bike unrideable because it will go miles out of true. Even racers used to have sensible wheels years ago. They might have run tubs and lightweight rims but they at least had a realistic number of spokes and lacing.
The answer, as always, is weight. Not that this is relevant to a rider such as me, I've just ended up with these wheels, as it were. Even with the ultra-beefy spokes on the 550s, they are still a couple of hundred grams lighter than the 500s. Marginal gains, as they say, although irrelevant to me.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Okay enough about spokes^_^

I have just rushed to the door to collect a parcel and within it was this: before you ask, no, I'm not going to run it as a three speed:laugh:

SA NOS.jpg

goldcoastjon

Such plans in February.. Limburg, Retro Ronde, Anjou, ....I don't think we will get any of them this year either:sad::sad:

Balkan and Special Eyes - I know how you feel. :-(

Eroica California 2020 was initially posponed from April to late September, then cancelled altogether fort last year. Cambria, California USA is only a hour-hour drive from us but #COVID19 has made it seem infinitely farther away, at least in time.

Had we had a *real* president in office 2017-2021 here in the USA (one who was logical, sentient, compassionate, ethical, mentally balanced, not an extreme narcissist or a mob boss, etc.), perhaps I would have hope for Eroica California to take place this April, but I am not optimistic: Biden and Harris are very good -- but they are not miracle workers
or magicians.

Jon

Top Bottom