Repair the bike or buy a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

On that score you need not worry. All the pedals you're likely to buy will fit.

What is the compatibility determined by exactly?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I received an email and a text message informing me that the parts are out of stock and will be ready to be dispatched on the 3rd of next month.

So, that means I’m going to have to rearrange my appointment at the local bike shop.

Or, do you think the guy at the local bike shop will be able to sort things with the current cassette and chain? If so, should I just ring up when the parts have arrived to get them installed on the bike?

Nothing seems to be going right for me at the moment. Urgh.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I received an email and a text message informing me that the parts are out of stock and will be ready to be dispatched on the 3rd of next month.

So, that means I’m going to have to rearrange my appointment at the local bike shop.

Or, do you think the guy at the local bike shop will be able to sort things with the current cassette and chain? If so, should I just ring up when the parts have arrived to get them installed on the bike?

Cancel the order and get mechanic to source parts :okay: (obviously let him know first)
Or you can just let him sort the wheels and cables and you can fit the new chain and cassette when they arrive ( you’ll need a chain tool, chain whip and cassette tool )

Reactions: C R

silva

Über Member
You can have perfection and use it!

View attachment 523353

> Used almost daily in sunny conditions.
> I have applied clear vinyl wrap all over it to protect against stone chips/scratches. (Same goes for other bikes).
> I clean it weekly. I inspect it after every ride as its better than talking to the Mrs, removing any spec of dirt it may have picked up.
> It lives indoors in a climate controlled environment and not the cold garage, sacrificing valuable sitting room in a conservatory.
Don't you attract bees out there?

jay clock

Massive member

TAKE THE BIKE DOWN TO THE LBS, LEAVE IT WITH THEM, AND MARVEL WHEN IT COMES BACK SORTED

DSK

Sorry, this threads got a bit long for me to recall exactly what minimal parts were required.

This is possible as LBS may be using other distributors and not the common online retailers. My local independent has been upto his neck in Nottingham since the start of lockdown but he's been able to get parts and turn bikes out in a timely manner without issue. At this stage, I will say you have a couple of options;

1) leave the bike with them (as suggested above) … and perhaps they may be able to sort it ahead of the time expected
2) ask them to send you a list of the exact parts and specification required so you can source them
3) buy a fully functional used bike and sell the one you have either in its current or, repaired state or, just keep it to tinker with

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cancel the order (which I think was for a new cassette and chain).
Your bike will need a new cassette because the shifters are 8 speed - well that's what you've told us :laugh: - haven't seen a picture nor have you shared the number on the shifter (peel back the shifter rubber and the number (?ST-2300?) will be there). So they won't work properly with a 9 speed cassette (I have seen a picture of that and counted them myself ^_^).
Text the LBS back saying 'no parts, please replace cassette (need 8sp) and chain, replace two missing spokes and true both wheels'. I'd point out that this is EXACTLY the advice I gave you eons ago.
Given care your brother gave the bike and your aspirations to perfectionism, I'd now add in 'replace gear cables'.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I have just rung the local bike shop and explained to the guy that the parts will not be arriving for a little while. I have rearranged the appointment for the 8th of next month. I already told him that I wanted new gear cables and new brake cables. :crazy:

I’m thinking about buying a brand new road bike this week and using the current bike as a bike that I can learn how to install parts, change things, etc.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Good Idea, our local LBS's are booked up until the end of June for repairs and have sold out of entry level bikes, just make sure that whatever you buy fits well, use the LBS that is doing the repairs if possible

Ajax Bay

Guru
I’m thinking about buying a brand new road bike
There is a sub-forum which is specifically for advice on 'what new bike'. Just try to be specific and complete with what your requirements are. Don't be surprised if a new bike of the standard you want is not 'ready next week' whatever promises are made. I predict that you will hand this Boardman back to your brother pretty promptly.

Top Bottom