Repair the bike or buy a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/RS500-SPD-SL-Road-Cycling-Pedals/OI41

Are those the same pedals? The Wiggle website states “PD-RS500” and the Sigma Sports website states just “RS500”. They look the same. What does “PD” mean?
Same. I’d guess PD means pedal :unsure:
They’re out of stock at Sigma, so you won’t get until late next week assuming they get them late this week

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Should I buy that spanner?
Check whether your current pedals have got an allen key fitting in the axle end pointing towards the frame. If not the person changing the pedals will need a spanner. Given you can't even replace a gear cable yourself, I'd get the LBS to do all this (and don't buy the spanner).
For this bike there's only one choice of tyre to do it justice: Continental GP5000s. They've got really good graphics on the side, they'll fit the wheels/rims really nice and tightly, and their rolling resistance is right up there with the best. By no means cheap (but you'd get 3 tyres for the price of the shoes). Probably 25mm wide to fit into the frame. Changing the tyres over is certainly something you could do yourself, and take pride in doing so (tyre levers and pump required).

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I have just phoned my brother and asked him. He told me that he actually changed the pedals to different pedals a while ago and he still has the right spanner to change the pedals.

One less thing to worry about which is a bonus for me.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Is spending someone else's money as much fun as spending your own? just throwing it out there

My brother is paying for the repairs, nothing else.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

How do I know what spokes to buy?

The specs for the bike are as follows:

The wheels are made up of Formula hubs and Mavic CXP22 rims with 32 spokes at the rear and 28 up front.

Spokes Stainless Steel.

Is there any way I can tell?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Don't buy spokes. Your LBS will have spokes the right length and fit them. If they say they can't, find an LBS that is more competent/capable.

I‘m worrying because my appointment is not too long away and I’m worried that everything is going to get fixed and I’m going to have to book another appointment because the LBS doesn’t have any spokes. Thus, I’ll not be able to use the bike until even further away from now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom