Repair the bike or buy a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I picked up my bike earlier today and went for a ride on it. Everything has been sorted such as new gear cables, new brake cables, new parts installed, etc. But, I have noticed that the rear wheel is not in the centre and the brakes seem to be on an angle.

What should I do? I never noticed any problems when I was riding the bike before dinner.

Are some rear wheels naturally not in the centre?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I picked up my bike earlier today and went for a ride on it. Everything has been sorted such as new gear cables, new brake cables, new parts installed, etc. But, I have noticed that the rear wheel is not in the centre and the brakes seem to be on an angle.
View attachment 528677

What should I do? I never noticed any problems when I was riding the bike before dinner.

Are some rear wheels naturally not in the centre?
Just pushing the Caliper across gently until the wheel is centred should sort it

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Also try to undo the rear skewer and do it up again, the back wheel may not be sitting in the drop outs properly. always best to do it with the wheels on the ground and bike upright, this will ensure that they sit properly, could be the angle you took the photo that makes the brakes look way of centre, as Vickster said, just push back the brakes to the centre

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bike shop replaced 2 spokes in this rear wheel and then trued it - is that right?
If so (from your photo) they seem not to have done a good job.
Take it back and insist they redish the wheel so the distance between the tyre and each seat stay is equal. Moving the brake calipers won't centre the wheel. Leaving it like that will result in additional tyre wear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

No, the bloke replaced three spokes on the front wheel. I asked for the rear wheel to be trued on the phone, but I noticed it was not in the centre when I came back from a ride a few hours ago.

I think the bloke must have forgotten because I didn’t pay what I was quoted on the phone.

Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
What should I say when I ring up a bike shop and speak to someone?

How much do you think it’s roughly going to cost to get fixed?
Please take my advice and try and to repair your bike. If you are considering buying a new one what have you to lose?
Bicycles are not complicated if it is as you describe it should be possible to fix this at the side of road with an Allen key, a small screwdriver and a new inner cable for about a fiver.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well, unless there's a trick of the photo angle, they didn't true the rear wheel properly. It needs to be round, in one vertical plane, and centred between the two locknuts (last nut on each end of the axle). Basic.
Having said that, I rode LEJOG on a bike quite new to me the rear wheel of which was about 5mm off (to the right) and didn't notice till its tyre needed replacing.

The wheel isn’t sitting in the drop outs correctly. Put bike in the smallest cog (hardest gear) and then loosen the quick release, push the frame down and hold the wheel while you retighten the quick release. You may have to wiggle the little spring in the axle to get it in the right place; you should feel the wheel ‘slot’ into place.

Looks like a Boardman Road Sport from 2013-14 (Red & yellow)

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

The wheel isn’t sitting in the drop outs correctly. Put bike in the smallest cog (hardest gear) and then loosen the quick release, push the frame down and hold the wheel while you retighten the quick release. You may have to wiggle the little spring in the axle to get it in the right place; you should feel the wheel ‘slot’ into place.

Looks like a Boardman Road Sport from 2013-14 (Red & yellow)

Cheers!

Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
"what have you to lose?"
@tommaguzzi Have you read the whole thread? This bike (his brother's) has moved on, and based on the OP's comments, he'd have a fair amount to lose if he tried to.
Not read the thread just the op first post where he describes a simple fault which should be an easy fix.
If there's more I'm sorry I missed it.

Top Bottom