Replacement for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My Brompton was stolen yesterday. I knew I was taking a risk with the lock I was using. I am not too upset, because I was thinking I should replace it anyway. It was fifteen years old at least. The headset was loose. A bolt had snapped off on the front carrier block, so I could not use the pannier any more. The only thing I thought worth saving was the SON XS dynamo hub, but those are not so useful these days with LED lighting. I used my Brompton quite a bit in the past, but I have not used it so much recently. It was still useful sometimes. I was thinking of getting one of those 2-gear Bromptons with the straight handlebars, but, frustratingly, Brompton don't seem to make them any more. I am also considering a Strida, but I don't know how robust they are. They don't look very robust. I don't know what they are like to cycle three miles. There don't seem to be as many models of fold-up bike as there used to be. I noticed the Xootr Swift is not made any more

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sorry to hear about your Brompton. :sad:

Sorry to hear this.
At the (strong) risk of being insensitive I can't help saying that I never understand why folks lock brommies in the street.
Mine is over 20 years old (discontinued model) and I will probably die with it.
You seem pretty sanguine about this - is it an insurance jobbie? - if so I'd get another Brompton.

roley poley

Über Member
sad to hear your news .I hope you get it back as to repair and fettle it to your taste will I feel cost less than a replacement ..any pics so we can keep an eye out for it??

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear this.
At the (strong) risk of being insensitive I can't help saying that I never understand why folks lock brommies in the street.
Mine is over 20 years old (discontinued model) and I will probably die with it.
You seem pretty sanguine about this - is it an insurance jobbie? - if so I'd get another Brompton.
No, not an insurance jobbie. It had sentimental value and it was occasionally useful, but I was thinking it was time to replace it.

Are you sure Brompton don't make the S2L any more? I'd think they're just out of stock everywhere rather than discontinued. eBaying your old Brompton would have got you half-way to a new one, at least monetarily if not temporally. Personally I think whichever non-Brompton you went for, you'd forever be comparing it to the Brommie.

My 1993 Brompton was stolen in London in August 2018 (leaning against the window of a Chinese Takeaway in Bow with me sat just inside the door, it was gone in the time it rtook me to walk to the counter and turn round) and I found it on eBay about 3 months later and the Police recovered it in Cambridge and it's still going strong - so keep your eyes peeled, especially as it has distinctive features.

No, not an insurance jobbie. It had sentimental value and it was occasionally useful, but I was thinking it was time to replace it.
ok - better luck with the next one - I think a brommie should last a lifetime.
(unlike my Dahon)

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
It massively depends on just HOW useful you felt your Brompton was and why you need another folder.

Is it for very occasional use?
Does it need to fold to meet a transport requirement?
Does it need to fold for storage?
Does it need to fold to fit inside a vehicle?

If you don't need the ability to fold it, then I certainly wouldn't be looking at something that does as they're compromised from the outset - some more than others, but all in different ways.

For me the Brompton was the best in terms of those compromises (of the ones I looked at, read reviews of or physically tried). By which I mean cost, rideability, foldability, durability.

A guy I used to work with had a Strida, but as I didn't have a folder at the time, I didn't know the right questions to ask. Seemed much more like a novelty item than anything to do any sort of distance on. From memory, I think he had trouble as his knees hit the bars.

Cost is probably the biggest deciding factor.

Brompton's aren't cheap, but they're a long way off being the most expensive folders either. It does look like they're not selling the 2-speed. Which is odd as they're still selling the 6-speed which uses (part of) the 2-speed mechanics. Maybe it's the hubs they're short of.

The new Tern Verge X11 looks interesting, for example, but at £2,700 it's almost the same price as an electric Brompton and may well not hold its value in the way a Brompton would (if that matters to you). It also folds in such a way that the chainrings are exposed - unlike the Brompton which keeps them away from clothes.

The Hummingbird is probably the lightest, but not cheap - starts at £3,450 for a single speed. There's no obvious way to pick them up either. The only person I've seen carrying one picked it up and carried it with his hand under the frame. It looked easy enough to do, but meant that a lot of dirt it would pick up is going to transfer to you. Not so bad if, like me, you wear cycling-specific clothes (or at least clothes you don't mind getting covered in oil, grease, or road grime). Not so good if you're in your favourite suit.

I always liked the look of Airnimals, but the fold is not great as the front wheel has to be removed - which might be fine for storage and/or occasional use, but not great twice a day on a regular commute.

The Birdy looks good and apparently rides well - I used to chat with a guy on my commute that had one (he also had a Montague Swiss bike prior to that and then an Oribike). Like the Airnimals, though, the front wheel had to come off the Montague. Not such a ball-ache in the summer, but on a cold, wet February morning, not pleasant to have to do while you're rushing to get your train.

Then there all the Dahons and Terns. More comfortable perhaps with bigger wheels (20", 24" or 26"). I had two Dahons - both frames snapped*.
I actually liked both of my bikes (and I also had a Dahon clone prior to this (a Rabbit.de)) they rode well and soaked up bumps better, used more standardised parts. But all three had problems with the folding mechanism. Two had the big frame hinge and one had the lockjaw system. they all required constant tinkering and squeaked constantly throughout my ownership.

Plus, on a commute, I often found myself unable to get on a train as there wasn't room because they didn't fold down small enough.

*NB - before anyone else mentions this, I was (am) over the rider weight limit for the bikes, but I did not know this until years later. I bought one new from Evans and it was certainly never mentioned at any time during the purchase. Funnily enough, they did bring it up when I was trying to get a refund.

Decathlon is a great shout for something cheap - their 'normal' bikes are very often rated in the top of whatever chart they're competing in - ie best road bikes under £500 - so I'd have no problem with them.

Even though there are more options available now, I'd still struggle to find one that I think better suits my needs for a folder. If I was to buy another, it would probably be another Brompton - though I'd be tempted to try a test ride of the Birdy.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Was this in London?

Bromptons are compromised in some respects but you can always get your money back when you sell, and they are just about infinitely repairable.

I don't like the 12/16 gearing on the 2-speed but, by raiding a Shimano cassette, you can have 13/15, which is nicer for flattish country.

Kell

Veteran
Was this in London?

Bromptons are compromised in some respects but you can always get your money back when you sell, and they are just about infinitely repairable.

I don't like the 12/16 gearing on the 2-speed but, by raiding a Shimano cassette, you can have 13/15, which is nicer for flattish country.

I did once try a different Brompton set up at the back. It wasn’t planned, as the shop mistakenly ordered the 12/16 for the 2-speed rather than the 13/16 for the 6-speed, but at that time I thought my 6th gear was too short, so I thought I’d give it a go.

Might have worked going the other way on a 2-speed but actually meant 6th was too tall to really get over the top of and by increasing the ratio of all the even gears meant the two I use most often (4 and 5) were too close together.

Last edited:
Tbh it sounds like your Brompton just needed a trip to the bike shop.

If you leave it locked on the street - don't get another Brompton. Too nickable. Get something cheap from Halfords.

Tbh it sounds like your Brompton just needed a trip to the bike shop.

If you leave it locked on the street - don't get another Brompton. Too nickable. Get something cheap from Halfords.
yep those issues seemed easily fixable to me.
You have to go back a longway for brommies to be seen as sad clown bikes.
Folks these days know their value.
I would have thought they are one of the most easily sold and profitable bikes

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
yep those issues seemed easily fixable to me.
You have to go back a longway for brommies to be seen as sad clown bikes.
Folks these days know their value.
I would have thought they are one of the most easily sold and profitable bikes
Maybe, it had already been resurrected once when the rear bit corroded through. I think whoever nicked it will have to tart up the paintwork if he wants to flog it for reasonable money.

Top Bottom