Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I've just changed the wheels on my Triban rc520 to a pair of Fulcrum Racing 6. Unlike the triban wheels it was pretty easy to fit 35mm schwalbe g one speed (dry weather bike, so no mudguard clearance issues). It had been impossible to fit these tyres to the triban wheels.

Trying to fit 30mm G ones to the Fulcrum wheels (an upgrade for my RC500 is proving more of a challenge. Tubular ready wheels appear to be the work of the devil!

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just changed the wheels on my Triban rc520 to a pair of Fulcrum Racing 6. Unlike the triban wheels it was pretty easy to fit 35mm schwalbe g one speed (dry weather bike, so no mudguard clearance issues). It had been impossible to fit these tyres to the triban wheels.

Trying to fit 30mm G ones to the Fulcrum wheels (an upgrade for my RC500 is proving more of a challenge. Tubular ready wheels appear to be the work of the devil!
You mean tubeless ready presumably :okay:

beany_bot

Veteran
Just to add to this. (from another thread)

I am in hour 3 now. Two of us trying have snapped 4 heavy duty plastic tyre levers. So we are now onto metal tyre levers. And as much as we have tried to avoid it have holed 3 inner tubes. one of them twice. One tyre is on (using boiling water and 2 hours later). I mean its just absolutely ridiulous. oh and yeah the rims look like scrap now because of having to use metal tyre levers.

Have you made sure that both of the tyre walls are well seated in the middle well of the rim? They should take no more than one lever use, if that.
My tubeless ready rims can be fitted with tyres with no levers at all.
It's all down to technique.
Both beads in the middle well, all the way round.

beany_bot

Veteran
I think this thread indicates that it's not just down to technique. I've even been in to deathlon and the mehanic says its an absolute nightmare. It takes 3 of them to do it.

beany_bot

Veteran
Im going to get new wheels becase this is insanity. I've twice now had to get the bus home from suffering a puncture because there is just no way to do this in the field.

I think this thread indicates that it's not just down to technique. I've even been in to deathlon and the mehanic says its an absolute nightmare. It takes 3 of them to do it.
I don't think it does. You really believe a decathlon mechanic?

beany_bot

Veteran
I don't think it does. You really believe a decathlon mechanic?
What are you talking about? You don't have this wheel you don't know. Just a quick google search shows just how bad these wheels are with new tyres. Everyone is having massive problems. You can't just waltz in and give it the "down to technique boy". You don't understand. I know my way around a bike and 2 of us have been trying for hours. And this is repeated by tons of other people.

Calm down. You are not helping yourself getting into this state of anger.
Maybe you are not cut out for cycling.
Relax. Take a deep breath, then take a couple more. Then put the kettle on and make a brew.
And stop getting so angry. You are your own worst enemy.

I'm going to ignore all the threads you have started about your tyres and rims.

You are not helping yourself.

beany_bot

Veteran
Calm down. You are not helping yourself getting into this state of anger.
Maybe you are not cut out for cycling.
Relax. Take a deep breath, then take a couple more. Then put the kettle on and make a brew.
And stop getting so angry. You are your own worst enemy.

I'm going to ignore all the threads you have started about your tyres and rims.

You are not helping yourself.
Sure im worked up. Been trying to get a tyre on for 3 hours. To then have someone tell me condescendingly that it's just down to technique really doesnt help. As for not being "cut out for cycling", I've been cycling for 40 years.

If you could ignore "all" (emm. 1) my tyre threads that would be great thanks.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

They are utterly dreadful rims. I can just about manage the stock tyres now (they seem to have slackened off) but trying to get several different types and sizes of Schwalbe tyres on is literally impossible.

I've actually emailed decathlon about this and been told that they are aware of the difficulty that people are having when trying to change tyre, and are looking at a new rim design for the bike.

Until recently I've not done much work on bikes, but I've been cycling for over 40 years and must have changed lots of tyres and fixed dozens of punctures in that time. These are, by some distance, much the worst I have tried. Even worse than marathon plus on a Brompton rear wheel.

Top Bottom