Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

The Fulcrum wheels are centrelock rather than 6 bolt for the disc rotors. I've got the racing 6 wheelset and found that even with adaptors I couldn't use the existing rotors from the rc520; they were just a tad too large. In the end I had to buy a new set of centrelock rotors, which added almost £60 to the total cost.

Labelled

Regular
The Fulcrum wheels are centrelock rather than 6 bolt for the disc rotors. I've got the racing 6 wheelset and found that even with adaptors I couldn't use the existing rotors from the rc520; they were just a tad too large. In the end I had to buy a new set of centrelock rotors, which added almost £60 to the total cost.

Thanks. I believe the Fulcrum I linked to are also thru-axle and would need a conversion kit for QR.

MrPorridge

So I'm going to have to fork out £200 for wheels, then possibly £60 for rotors, extra for tools to remove and add them... Arghhh. This is all turning into something of a minefield. At some point, it's just going to be cheaper to buy a new bike and throw this one in a skip when I next puncture. What's the old phrase, "if it looks too good to be true..."?

For any RC520 fans who have not yet had their hearts, levers and thumbs broken by the wheels-from-hell® it looks like Decathlon are going to subject the good ol' USA to their own particular brand of "cheap bike with 50% upcharge on the first puncture" torment. Not sure if people have seen this but there's a recent, reasonably in-depth review here:

Despite this chap's obvious familiarity with other bike tyres and wheels, he describes removing the stock tyres as "quite a struggle" and seems to have had to jump through hoops (no pun intended) to go tubeless. Still, I'm guessing it might be of help to anyone considering this route with their '520:

Labelled

Regular
Just a little update.
I am using the bicycle to commute and therefore being able to change the tyres is pretty important. So I practised changing the front tyre for the first time today.

In lieu of the various complaints and issues on this thread and elsewhere, I purchased the Koolstop wire bead tool and a speedier lever type tyre lever from Decathlon and got ready ready for a fight.

I was, however, pleasantly surprised as I removed and reinstalled the front tyre with relative ease in around 10 minutes.

If it's of help to anyone I used a combination of this tutorial, the aforementioned tools with one additional step.

Tutorial:

View: https://youtu.be/CWPUL67IJU0

Extra step: After I let the air out of the tyre I went around the tyre and detached the inner rim from the tyre with my hand (they were stuck to the inner rim with glue).

I have now no regrets purchasing this bicycle and I plan to purchase new tyres for puncture protection. (Schwalbe Marathon plus 35mm - I know these are meant to be a nightmare to mount but I'm emboldened after the easy change this morning)

Labelled

Regular
Final update for anyone interested.
I got the Schwalbe Marathon plus 700x35mm on the stock wheels this morning.
Again it took some time and patience but I got the two tyres changed in less than an hour using the tools mentioned in my post above.

The new tyres transformed the bicycle. Ride is much more comfortable and I can now ride it up and down curbs. Does not feel as racy but its exactly as I want it to be now.

MrPorridge

Some great information there @Labelled!
I have found the speedier lever helpful but I bought something similar, but not identical to, the Koolstop (ok, it was cheaper). My mistake as the hinged part of my bead tool isn't up to the job and it gives way under pressure. "Buy cheap, buy twice" as they say!
Brilliant job with the marathons. You are a better (and far more patient) person than I, which - to be fair - isn't saying that much!

Labelled

Regular
No worries. Glad you found it helpful.

I found the best tip from the video is to keep working the tyre into the centre of the rim. It kept on creating more and more slack, little by little.

The Kool stop tool isn't perfect. The part that connects to the rim slips off pretty easy and similarly the shape of the hook that grabs the tyre isn't great either. Notwithstanding it did get the tyres on... Eventually.

I'm really delighted with the bike now. Hoping the tyres live up to expectations and I will not need to change a tube for a few years.

:okay:

joethemango

No worries. Glad you found it helpful.

I found the best tip from the video is to keep working the tyre into the centre of the rim. It kept on creating more and more slack, little by little.

The Kool stop tool isn't perfect. The part that connects to the rim slips off pretty easy and similarly the shape of the hook that grabs the tyre isn't great either. Notwithstanding it did get the tyres on... Eventually.

I'm really delighted with the bike now. Hoping the tyres live up to expectations and I will not need to change a tube for a few years.

:okay:
thank you for all your input!

looking to upgrade the wheelset.. looking at the shimano rs170 ... its thru axel? will it fit our bike or do we need a conversion kit?

or are there other good options

I run folding Schwalbe G-ones on Magic Aksiums and have no problems with taking them off and putting them on, can do it without using levers, just using my thumbs!

Which Mavic Aksium's did you get? The 6 bolt or the clincher centrelock?

I’d be on the look out on EBay and Facebook and the like for a set of wheels taken off a bike that has been upgraded. Many of them seem to be quick release rather than thru axle which is becoming increasingly more common.

To clarify, are the existing disc rotors on the RC520 6 bolt?

straas

Matt
Do you think they've changed the manufacturing of the wheels or tyres? As multiple reports before of near impossible to remove and replace tyres.

Last edited:
Top Bottom