Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey mate - I bought these (link at the bottom) in the end. 142mm for the rear wheel and 100mm for the front. They work perfectly.

RS170s are great wheels, and incredibly easy to get tyres on.

Bear in mind that they use the centrelock system for the disc breaks as opposed to the 6-bolt system the standard Triban wheels use, so you'll either need to get 6-bolt to centrelock adaptors (which I got from wiggle at £14 a pop) or you'll need to get new discs.

Definitely recommend doing that. Has made the ride infinitely more pleasant, and I have a lot more faith in my wheels and tyres now.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KYGDR23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent, those are what I've got in my basket already, so thanks for confirming. I've used Lixada gear before and it's always been solid,not bike parts though.

Luckily I found a new set of them cheap on eBay, £100 including the 6 bolt adapters, so should be ready to roll. Thanks for confirming these work - was tearing my hair out with those stock hoops.

Excellent, those are what I've got in my basket already, so thanks for confirming. I've used Lixada gear before and it's always been solid,not bike parts though.

Luckily I found a new set of them cheap on eBay, £100 including the 6 bolt adapters, so should be ready to roll. Thanks for confirming these work - was tearing my hair out with those stock hoops.

No worries. Let us know how they go!

No worries. Let us know how they go!

Cheers. First glance adapters and wheels are great. Front goes right in with no dramas. One thing - did you find you needed to swap the NDS spacers on the rear? Current one on the Shimano wheels is too wide to fit in the QR dropouts.

Edit - it just about fits, but not well - wheel won't quite centre in the frame. Reading back, it looks like you had this issue too - interested to know how you solved it.

edit2: Working fine now - just needed to loosen the brake caliper and everything slipped into place. Cheers!

Last edited:

Stammers

I replaced mine with Schwalbe Marathon 35mm Green Guard ones, ie not the plus, based on reviews that the plus ones are not as enjoyable to ride.
It’s definitely more enjoyable and stable now over gravel which I like to ride on, but the bike feels heavier and a bit sluggish now.
I guess that’s the trade off, but I’m definitely trying folding gravel tyres next like the Panaracer Gravel King.

ps to replace stock tyres took mechanic 10mins and to replace the Marathon tyres took mechanic 5mins. Neither thought they were difficult to replace but I guess that’s experience. Based on this thread I decided not to bother trying myself!
Final update for anyone interested.
I got the Schwalbe Marathon plus 700x35mm on the stock wheels this morning.
Again it took some time and patience but I got the two tyres changed in less than an hour using the tools mentioned in my post above.

The new tyres transformed the bicycle. Ride is much more comfortable and I can now ride it up and down curbs. Does not feel as racy but its exactly as I want it to be now.

Labelled

Regular
I replaced mine with Schwalbe Marathon 35mm Green Guard ones, ie not the plus, based on reviews that the plus ones are not as enjoyable to ride.
It’s definitely more enjoyable and stable now over gravel which I like to ride on, but the bike feels heavier and a bit sluggish now.
I guess that’s the trade off, but I’m definitely trying folding gravel tyres next like the Panaracer Gravel King.

ps to replace stock tyres took mechanic 10mins and to replace the Marathon tyres took mechanic 5mins. Neither thought they were difficult to replace but I guess that’s experience. Based on this thread I decided not to bother trying myself!

Yes. It wasn't that bad for me.
I don't think I could have changed them without the tyre bead jack though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Was a one wheel box !
Ohh, best hop on their webchat...good luck!

bobnet

Hi,
I'm a newbie and it is my first post here, hoping to get some help. So, saying hello to all.

It seems the RC120 is a nice bike. However, it seems the cost of replacing wheels is not cheap and easy. Is it still worth of buying the new rc520 and replacing the wheels? With a little extra, I wonder if it would be better to go with others. In my case, Cannondale SYNAPS for overall value.

Synapse appears an endurance/racier bike. What I prefer is more convenient bike to ride for a day ride (and occasionally tutoring).. Would Synapse be as comfortable as RC120?

Ride with Roy

I've had my Triban RC520 for a year now, and it's been a really good experience so far. I've added mudguards and a rear rack, and now plan to undertake a multi-day tour in Europe come the Spring.

However, I had my first puncture last week and getting the tyre off the wheel was difficult but getting it back on was much, much worse - it took about an hour. This was bad enough in the comfort of my kitchen, but potentially in the pouring rain miles from anywhere doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm seriously considering swapping the wheels. Has anyone done this, and what did you go for?

Thanks
I had a terrible time sorting out a puncture on my RC520. I was 30 miles from home after 70 miles completed. It was getting dark with a temperature of -1.5C and dropping. It Took 30 minutes to break the bead away from the rim and the same again to reinstall. The tyres were Gatorskins, which are notoriously tight on proper sized wheels, so a nightmare on the Triban. This experience caused me to find a solution that didn’t require the expense of replacing wheels. The answer came in the form of the TyreKey. I bought one and removed the tyres again to add new tubes. The whole process was painless so I now have confidence that I can handle a roadside repair as the tool fits in my tool bag. I won’t add any links as I am new here and don’t want to break and rules, but Google will find it. there are also YouTube reviews.

Tribansman

Veteran
I had a terrible time sorting out a puncture on my RC520. I was 30 miles from home after 70 miles completed. It was getting dark with a temperature of -1.5C and dropping. It Took 30 minutes to break the bead away from the rim and the same again to reinstall. The tyres were Gatorskins, which are notoriously tight on proper sized wheels, so a nightmare on the Triban. This experience caused me to find a solution that didn’t require the expense of replacing wheels. The answer came in the form of the TyreKey. I bought one and removed the tyres again to add new tubes. The whole process was painless so I now have confidence that I can handle a roadside repair as the tool fits in my tool bag. I won’t add any links as I am new here and don’t want to break and rules, but Google will find it. there are also YouTube reviews.
Sounds like a pretty good solution that if it works.

But I decided to swap my wheels, as in addition to the pain of taking off and refitting tyres, I had issues with the spokes.

Bit the bullet and went for some Hunt gravel/4season wheels, which I've found great. Improved the feel and versatility of the bike as could fit 36 tyres with ease.

Top Bottom