Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liquid

Regular
After breaking a spoke yesterday and being told I'd have to wait at least a month for them to check the wheel and replace the spoke, I went for a pair of Mavic Aksiums with the 6-bolt rotor and QR adapter included - €217 delivered to France within 3 days

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

After a good deal of faffing about, I ended up with Fulcrum wheels on the RC500 and Mavis Aksiums on the RC520. Both a big improvement on the decathlon wheels, but the Aksiums were much less hassle to fit and were easier for changing tyres. Would definitely recommend

After breaking a spoke yesterday and being told I'd have to wait at least a month for them to check the wheel and replace the spoke, I went for a pair of Mavic Aksiums with the 6-bolt rotor and QR adapter included - €217 delivered to France within 3 days

I could quite easily believe that if it was a decathlon store. Went into the Warrington one and the bike section looked like it had been a closing down sale, even the display models had gone, it was barer than a bare wall!

Liquid

Regular
I could quite easily believe that if it was a decathlon store. Went into the Warrington one and the bike section looked like it had been a closing down sale, even the display models had gone, it was barer than a bare wall!
I know the Warrington store well - I've not been a couple of years though, my parents still live in Standish and we often visited before the current mess.

It's the same situation in France, it looks like they're closing down, hardly any bikes or gear. Everything is selling quickly on leboncoin (second-hand site). I've been tempted to sell my RC520 and order a Canyon Endurace, but their wait time is currently Jan 2021...

I'm sticking with the Triban, which I think is great, just hope these Mavic Askium's are up to my 6ft5 110kg frame.

As for changing tyres (and broken thumbs), I highly recommend this - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-tyre-seating-tool - It makes it much easier and it's light enough to carry on rides.

Last edited:

MrPorridge

Went into the Warrington one and the bike section looked like it had been a closing down sale, even the display models had gone, it was barer than a bare wall!
Got my RC520 from Warrington. I'm only a few miles away. The staff there were very good despite a mix-up with the sizes. There's one particular chap - dark hair, big beard - who was really helpful with advice and fixing a few niggles. Can't remember his name but was very impressed with his knowledge. Would be interested to hear his opinion on the 520 wheels.

After a good deal of faffing about, I ended up with Fulcrum wheels on the RC500 and Mavis Aksiums on the RC520. Both a big improvement on the decathlon wheels, but the Aksiums were much less hassle to fit and were easier for changing tyres. Would definitely recommend

Did the Aksium through axel have any issues fitting on the frame?

I'm trying to fit the Shimano RS170s now and the through axel section is slightly too wide, separate to the QR adapter.

I'm really interested to see if you can find a solution as everything I've read says there are no compatible adapters.

Whatever you've read is wrong. Go the Shiman RS170 Wheels on using two QR adaptors. 12to9 100mm for the front wheel and 12to9 142mm for the back.

Works a charm, great wheels (they're just as heavy as the Decathlon wheels but sturdier, and incredibly easy to fit tyres on - got Continental GP5000s on with just my thumbs!) and running perfectly.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Whatever you've read is wrong. Go the Shiman RS170 Wheels on using two QR adaptors. 12to9 100mm for the front wheel and 12to9 142mm for the back.

Works a charm, great wheels (they're just as heavy as the Decathlon wheels but sturdier, and incredibly easy to fit tyres on - got Continental GP5000s on with just my thumbs!) and running perfectly.
And the GP500's feel so much better than the stick tyres. Fast and comfortable

Liquid

Regular

I ordered the aksiums but I'm having trouble with the rear QR adapters, specifically for the cassette side - the black plastic adapter doesn't fit inside it sits flush, is this correct?

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I ordered the aksiums but I'm having trouble with the rear QR adapters, specifically for the cassette side - the black plastic adapter doesn't fit inside it sits flush, is this correct?
It had already been fitted to mine (I bought the wheels from eBay) so couldn't really tell you tbh. Will have a look at the bike tomorrow

Absolute godsend this thread, really helpful for dealing with these horrible wheels. I've put dents in the rim using a bead seating tool and I still can't get any tyres to seat properly. Thought about going to the LBS to see if they can help, but that's no use if I'm 20 miles from home in the woods with a puncture.

AussieRider - can I ask if you went with those Chinese adapters in the end, and did they work? I'm also biting the bullet on a set of RS170s.

Absolute godsend this thread, really helpful for dealing with these horrible wheels. I've put dents in the rim using a bead seating tool and I still can't get any tyres to seat properly. Thought about going to the LBS to see if they can help, but that's no use if I'm 20 miles from home in the woods with a puncture.

AussieRider - can I ask if you went with those Chinese adapters in the end, and did they work? I'm also biting the bullet on a set of RS170s.

Hey mate - I bought these (link at the bottom) in the end. 142mm for the rear wheel and 100mm for the front. They work perfectly.

RS170s are great wheels, and incredibly easy to get tyres on.

Bear in mind that they use the centrelock system for the disc breaks as opposed to the 6-bolt system the standard Triban wheels use, so you'll either need to get 6-bolt to centrelock adaptors (which I got from wiggle at £14 a pop) or you'll need to get new discs.

Definitely recommend doing that. Has made the ride infinitely more pleasant, and I have a lot more faith in my wheels and tyres now.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KYGDR23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Top Bottom