Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

A broken thumb - that's terrible. Decathlon have really undermined good bikes with these terrible wheels. A

The stock tyres do get slightly easier to get on, after you've done it a few times - they seem less rigid after 1000 miles. However, I've also tried Marathon Supremes, G One, and Marathon and only the first would go on. Problem was that it wouldn't come off.

If you're thinking of new wheels, I would not recommend fulcrum - too many incompatible elements with the triban

Jenkins

Legendary Member
These would be a decent cheap(ish) upgradefor the Triban and are Q/R front & rear: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...lite-v6-disc-wheelset-qr.264009/#post-6059435

Tribansman

Veteran
Sure im worked up. Been trying to get a tyre on for 3 hours. To then have someone tell me condescendingly that it's just down to technique really doesnt help. As for not being "cut out for cycling", I've been cycling for 40 years.

If you could ignore "all" (emm. 1) my tyre threads that would be great thanks.

Really feel for you. I too have the rc520 and had similar nightmare with these wheels, notwithstanding never having had a problem with my technique over countless other wheelsets and tyres, including often hard to fit marathon pluses.

Smug, condescending replies are not what people need who are struggling and posting partly as catharsis.

The stock hoops are totally unfit for purpose and require superhuman levels of persistence, chunky metal tyre levers and in my case the kool stop lever too. And even then it takes hours and pinch flats very likely. I've also had to use knife and pliers to remove a conti gator skin from these wheels where it had essentially fused to the rim. No 'technique' would have helped with that, @Darius_Jedburgh. And yes, I did get angry. Always suspicious of overly level headed folk, usually oddballs.

I've raised with decathlon but had to bite the bullet and get new wheels. Was also annoyed by the constant 'clicking'/'clanking' noise from the back wheel that experienced (non decathlon) mechanics were unable to solve and said was due to poor wheel design and build.

Opted for Hunt 4 seasons and they're so much better. Silent, robust enough and can change a tube in 5 minutes.

It's so frustrating as in all other respects it's a superb, comfortable bike, which I've now done over 10,000 miles on, and which is why I could justify the investment in new wheels

Perhaps try and pick up some second hand ones or go for some entry level Shimanos (rs170s or similar, c.£100 for a wheelset) which are decent enough and at least fit for purpose. Won't weigh any or much more than the hideous stock hoops!

Hope your thumb's on the mend and you find a solution.

Well well well. I type this message ( very slowly) from the accident and emergency room at my local hospital where the x-ray results have just come back.

And yes. I have BROKEN MY THUMB trying to get my new tyre, back off the ******** triban rim.

What. A. Day.
Thats unbelievable! What a dodgy design flaw, Triban should do a recall!
Hope the hand is fine soon :okay:

beany_bot

Veteran
Thats unbelievable! What a dodgy design flaw, Triban should do a recall!
Hope the hand is fine soon :okay:
Well it's my first broken thumb, and while annoying, it's not actually that bad, I can still do most things.

Labelled

Regular
Hi All,

I got the RC520 and after reading this thread I am dreading my first puncture.

The primary purpose of the bicycle for me is commuting and as I go over some gravel, lumps and bumps on my commute and the generally dodgy roads here in Ireland I figured a wider tyre would be more suitable and safer. (35mm Schwalbe Marathon+)

Given the issues described in this thread I was about to upgrade the wheels to the Shimano RS170 currently for €115
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-rs170-disc-wheelset/rp-prod193078

BUT THEN... I had a look at the RC520 Gravel version. The wheelset appears to be the same on both the RC520 Standard and RC520 Gravel bicycles, however, the RC520 Gravel version is fitted from the shop with Hutchinson Overide 35mm tyres.

Does anyone have any experience fitting Hutchinson Overide tyres to this wheelset?

Presumably they must fit if they are sold with the Gravel version?!

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi All,

I got the RC520 and after reading this thread I am dreading my first puncture.

The primary purpose of the bicycle for me is commuting and as I go over some gravel, lumps and bumps on my commute and the generally dodgy roads here in Ireland I figured a wider tyre would be more suitable and safer. (35mm Schwalbe Marathon+)

Given the issues described in this thread I was about to upgrade the wheels to the Shimano RS170 currently for €115
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-rs170-disc-wheelset/rp-prod193078

BUT THEN... I had a look at the RC520 Gravel version. The wheelset appears to be the same on both the RC520 Standard and RC520 Gravel bicycles, however, the RC520 Gravel version is fitted from the shop with Hutchinson Overide 35mm tyres.

Does anyone have any experience fitting Hutchinson Overide tyres to this wheelset?

Presumably they must fit if they are sold with the Gravel version?!
Honestly just get new wheels. My thumb has only just healed as I broke it trying to fit new tyres to these wheels.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I would echo the advice that you should for for new wheels. The triban ones on the rc520 are a catastrophe.

Do the Shimano wheels accept quick release fittings or are they through axle only?

Labelled

Regular
@Dwn Good call. It appears as though the Shimano wheels are thru-axle only...
Anyone have suggestions for budget wheels? <£170
I am struggling to find anything near the price point of the Shimano RS170.

Not Vision as too heavy. I would go Fulcrum as have owned Alex wheels as they went out of true.

Top Bottom