Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I was looking at purchasing new Mavic wheels then I’d be a little nervous of parts availability in the future as stock is sold down at stores.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the Prime wheelsets available on wiggle are cheap and decent. I run a set as spare wheels on my cross bike for easy change between road and cross tyres. I also used their lifeline cheap as chips disc rotors, which also run fine.

jonnylane

Another RC520 wheel-hater here. I was an early adopter and bought mine in Nov 2018. Great value bike, no trouble at all with anything else. I commute 0-2 times/week in all weather year round, 13 miles each way. The bike has now done 3.5k miles.

The tyres lasted 3 months through the first winter before cracking dangerously. Decathlon pretended it was normal. They also pretended that the wheels were normal when I told them I spent 3 hours replacing their dreadful tyres with Gatorskins. They blamed the tyres but replaced the 4 snapped tyre levers I produced. I now use Pedro's which are excellent.

Gatorskins are brilliant (slow: I don't care, it's bonus training & poor grip in the wet: urban myth in my experience). I've not had a puncture since I fitted them 2 years ago which considering the rural roads I commute on is impressive. I have been dreading a puncture but it never happened. I have rolled over glass three times and pulled a variety of flint, glass and a screw out of them. They could do with replacing so I naturally thought: why not replace the wheels?

I found a pair of Aksium 6-bolt wheels for £171and fitted them today. They go in easily once you know what you're doing with the QR adaptors (which I didn't).

HazyHog

I was catching up on this thread as I own a Triban RC500 and recently bought a pair of Shimano RS170 wheels.

As someone with little experience with bike tech I was ignorant to the problems I would run into with dropout widths and axel converters and all sorts. I have measured the rear dropout on my frame and its 135mm is this the same for the Triban RC520? as I see a few of you guys have successfully fitted RS170's to the RC520.

When trying to put the rear wheel into position I need to very slightly pull the frame apart to fit the wheel. I haven't yet bought converters as I'm not certain on which ones to buy.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out here.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t the RC520 and 500 have different wheels?
Tne 520 wheels being the pigs for tyre changes and not the 500?

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I’ve got both bikes, and basically the same horrible wheels. I’m waiting to hear about Decathlon offering to swap them foc, which is the rumour from the FB users group.

Sorry, @HazyHog - can’t advise you on that. I changed my wheels to Mavic Aksium and Fulcrum Racing 6, and both fitted without too much trouble (the Mavic set much easier than the Fulcrum).

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I should say that I had to pull the frame pretty hard when swapping the wheel, bu I think that was because I had fitted a pannier rack. I don’t suppose that is your issue?

HazyHog

The adaptors arrived today, the wheels seem to fit fine with the back wheel being a bit tight but nothing that requires too much force.

I assumed they were the same wheels based on my traumatic experiences changing tyres in the past. Luckily I wont have to deal with them anymore.

Though I left my bike in the sun after a ride today and the front tyre burst as it was overinflated. Meaning if the converters didn't work id be in for the most stressful hour of my life.

I’ve got both bikes, and basically the same horrible wheels. I’m waiting to hear about Decathlon offering to swap them foc, which is the rumour from the FB users group.

@Dwn What was it that decathlon were rumoured to swap them out for?

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

The adaptors arrived today, the wheels seem to fit fine with the back wheel being a bit tight but nothing that requires too much force.

I assumed they were the same wheels based on my traumatic experiences changing tyres in the past. Luckily I wont have to deal with them anymore.

Though I left my bike in the sun after a ride today and the front tyre burst as it was overinflated. Meaning if the converters didn't work id be in for the most stressful hour of my life.

@Dwn What was it that decathlon were rumoured to swap them out for?
Apparently an improved version of the current wheel. I’m not entirely convinced that it will happen, but it’s the rumour on Facebook

gwarg

Apparently an improved version of the current wheel. I’m not entirely convinced that it will happen, but it’s the rumour on Facebook
Do you know what the FB group is called please? Would be interested in joining as I've just placed an order

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I’ve abandoned Facebook now but think it was just Triban users group. The post was from a few months ago

MrPorridge

Do you know what the FB group is called please? Would be interested in joining as I've just placed an order
I recently joined the "B'Twin Triban Users" group to see what advice was out there. Mixed messages as far as I can see - someone was saying Decathlon UK have said they would exchange the wheels under warranty but that there would be no stock until 2023! Someone said Decathlon have no intention of exchanging the wheels.
My bike is way out of the warranty period anyway. I guess that even with a wheel upgrade, the RC520 would be a good deal but not quite the bargain it was. What's annoying is that it would cost Decathlon a lot less to include better wheels than the £200+ quid, plus possibly more for various adapters, plus labour, plus the hassle of getting the thing actually booked in for the swap that it'll cost me. (Anything beyond basic maintenance is beyond me and I haven't got a clue when it comes to QR adapters, disk adapters, cassette removal tools, spacers etc.)

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

There’s no doubt that the wheels are truly awful. I’ve replaced both my sets with Mavic Aksiums and Fulcrum Racing 6, and the former have been much easier to change tyres on than the latter.

The Fulcrums, while not as terrible as the Triban wheels, make changing an inner tube a real pita with tyres less than 35mm. It may be just a coincidence but the only wheels I ever had this problem with are billed as ‘tubeless ready’.

Top Bottom