Replacing average tyres to premium ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KMKM

Hi,

I will be changing my average bog standard 700x25 Hutchinson Nitro (non-folding) road tyres to some Michelin Pro 2 Race 700x25 (folding) tyres I have bought.

Just wondering will I feel a big difference on the bike, using these better and more expensive tyres?

In short - no. They will be a bit lighter and will roll a lot better but I doubt whether in all truth you will actually notice the difference that much just riding along. They should save a lot of energy over long distances though and that's where you will start to appreciate them.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
the biggest benefit i find with a tyre up-grade is the fact that most "better" tyres are easier to change when you have a puncture :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Let us know if you do feel the difference! I am thinking of upgrading from Conti Ultra Sport (Kevlar, folding) to GP4000S's and the same thought had occured to me. The Contis certainly feel faster and more responsive than the Vittoria Zaffiros on the winter bike. Of course the difference may be in the wheels. Neither are anything like the tubulars I used to ride in the distant past.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
accountantpete said:
In short - no. They will be a bit lighter and will roll a lot better but I doubt whether in all truth you will actually notice the difference that much just riding along. They should save a lot of energy over long distances though and that's where you will start to appreciate them.

I disagree.
Tyres affect the feel and handling of a bike and how confident you feel cornering, particularly in the wet... theyr'e our communication with the road. They affect how we feel the vibes of the road.
I changed from basic Hutchinsons to PR2's and the Michelins were a revelation, faster, smoother, more lively feeling whereas the Hutchinsons were always a bit dead feeling. Don't like my Krylions for the same reason. My newer PR3's on the other hand are tyres for the gods, slightly deader feel than the slightly balloony PR2's, but so, so grippy.

You'll enjoy the PR2s I'm sure!

Sorry to disagree but if you think about it the effect of any tyre has to transmit through the inner tube,rim,spokes,hub and onto the frame.

If you have any inefficiencies in this middle group then the effect of new tyres is bound to be dissipated somewhat.

IMHO,90% of performance comes from the liveliness of the frame and wheels.

Garz

Squat Member
Im going to side with FF on this one.

I changed to winter tyres in november and the added traction I got was fantastic on the roads I was going on, not necessary feeling 'quicker' but with the added confidence actually allowed me to push harder.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
Tyres are the best single upgrade anyone can make to their bike
+1.

OP
OP
K

KMKM

New tyres fitted and i think they are great.

They feel great and are excellent round cornering. Glad I bought superior tyres.

Tynan

Veteran
yep, a good tyre is very noticeable after a bad tyre, mind you pumping the bloody things up properly is a good change

Top Bottom