Replacing 'internally routed' gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello :hello:

I need to replace a front gear cable that is internally routed through the downtube. My question is - is it a simple operation, in terms of just feeding the replacement cable through the connector hole and it popping out of the other end? Don't want to 'whip it out' and discover I can't get the new cable back through the tube again...

For those who care for the detail. This is on a CUBE Streamer.

Cheers,
SD

It's easy. Pull out the old inner - leaving the outer in place. Then thread the new inner into the old outer. Then pull the old casing out - leaving the new inner in the frame. Now thread the new outer using the new inner as a guide. Simple.

But if you do happen to accidentally pull it all out its not the end of the world to thread it through from scratch.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
There isn't really an outer, so to speak, only from bars - by the headtube end of the downtube, then it goes into the downtube and comes out down at the back of the bottom bracket shell...

Oddsos

Über Member
Be careful!

I had a number of Kleins which all had brake cables and gear cables routed through the frame. On these bikes there was no outer cable through the frame. The entry points into the frame were essentially cable stops and the bare inner ran through the frame tubes. If you pulled the old cable out it was a pain getting a new cable back through the tiny holes. After making a mistake on my first cable replacement I took to super glueing a piece of cotton thread to the old cable before removing it. I was then able to use the thread to pull the new cable through the frame and more importantly the teeny-tiny exit hole.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The good news: Got the new inner back through the downtube and out of the other end, using the cotton/superglue method. There was a small brown trouser moment at one stage but I pulled it out of the bag.

The bad news: I can't for the life of me get the required tension to hold the front beck on the big ring and tighten up the cable. Need one of those 3rd hand tools or whatever they are. I have also slightly frayed the NEW cable :wacko: (but I haven't cut the end off yet). It's doing my head in, so I'll re-visit it tomorrow, as about to watch the Giro now and wallow in my own ineptness.

Cubist

Still wavin'
What sort of mech is it? You simply have to take up the slack (with a bit of tension using pliers to pull the cable taught) while it's indexed on the inner ring.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
105 triple :smile:

I have done it before on other bikes without the problems I was having :wacko:
Anyway, I managed to finally get it sorted Yesterday. Thanks for the replies all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of us oldies have internal cables that were routed with their own tubes, just down the top tube like. Paid extra for that.

Well done, very do-able these days without full routing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Wished I had read this first, I assumed the BB routing on my Roubaix would be simply pushinh through but not so I can't eve get a real thin bit of wire through, any tips?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Holy thread resurrection just been googling and preparing to do this job myself . The trick now is to use thin piping which you feed along the old inner and tape to the frame at both ends . You can then feed your new inner along this ! Pullout once done oh and if you cock it up a strong magnet comes in handy

Top Bottom