Replacing my headset but what type is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all!

I would like to replace my headset. The one I have is a little cheap and cheerful. The alan key can barely get a grip on it.

I have been shopping around and I am bewildered as to what type I should buy. There are threaded, threadless, integrated, semi-integrated - not to mention carbon too! I am tempted to buy a nice Ritchey Carbon one! I have tried to read the name/model from the one I have but the lettering has worn away.

How can I tell what type it is? If it helps I have a Bob Jackson single speed frame. I would appreciate any guidance.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It will either be 1" or 1"1/8th
I would bet money on it being a threadless, but without seeing your bike it could be a threaded...so

What type of stem have you got? quill stem or a threadless stem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_(bicycle_part)

Then you may have to get the tape measure out

OP
OP
bernieUK

bernieUK

Veteran

Wobbly John

Veteran
I don't really understand this statement:
bernieUK said:
The alan key can barely get a grip on it.

Are you suggesting that the bolt through top cap only just reaches the star nut? If so the new stem probably has more height than the old one, which a longer bolt will solve.

If you can't tell the type & size of a headset just by looking at it, can you be sure you can install and set up the new headset correctly?

OP
OP
bernieUK

bernieUK

Veteran
Wobbly John said:
I don't really understand this statement:

Are you suggesting that the bolt through top cap only just reaches the star nut? If so the new stem probably has more height than the old one, which a longer bolt will solve.

If you can't tell the type & size of a headset just by looking at it, can you be sure you can install and set up the new headset correctly?

There was a little "play" when steering so I tried to tighten the headset. The alan key slips somewhat as there seems to be quite a lot of wear. Whether or not I can be sure of installing a new headset correctly - no real idea until I try. If I run into problems I will be engaging the services of my LBS and paying for the privilage.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Sounds as if you'll need a new bolt then.

You did loosen the stem bolts when you tried to tighten the headset, didn't you?

OP
OP
bernieUK

bernieUK

Veteran
Wobbly John said:
Sounds as if you'll need a new bolt then.

You did loosen the stem bolts when you tried to tighten the headset, didn't you?

Yes, I did loosen the stem bolts a little before tightening. To be honest I had no idea the bolt itself could be replaced.

Top Bottom