Reported a driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday morning I was riding along the A3057 towards Romsey about 200 yards before the left turn up Yokesford Hill where the cycle path ends. I was on my own not using the cycle lane (shared path where you have to give way to traffic emerging from pub car parks etc.) doing about 20mph. Not much traffic about and nothing coming towards me when I get a very close pass from a grey Alfa convertable (roof up). I stuck my arm up, palm in the air in a 'what was that for' gesture and the driver (50'ish male with dodgy mullet) braked and as I pulled along side said 'there's a cycle lane there, f*cking get on it!' I replied with something like 'pull over, get out of the f*cking car you pr*ck!' He then accelerated in front, then braked hard whilst swerving left, as I came up to him he accelerated then braked again then sped off with arm raised out of the window.
I had got his reg number so went straight on to Romsey police station where I spoke to a PC who was just coming out (they've shut the desk). I told him what had happened and that we'd had hassle about not using the cycle path in the past on that road from the driver of a grey convertable during a time trial, we didn't get the reg then but I gave the opinion that there was a strong chance of it being the same bloke. I said that as it would only be my word against his I didn't expect them to charge him or anything but thought it would be a good idea to have a word with him before either someone was hurt or a serious confrontation occured.
I'd told it to the PC straight and the first thing he said was 'did you swear at him when he was next to you?' I said 'yes I probably threw a couple of f*cks in' to which his answer was 'you realise you could be arrested for a public order offence if the driver makes a complaint' I said that I'd take my chances with that.
Anyway, the PC said he would check on the system and contact the driver within the next few days and let me know the outcome.
It will be interesting to see what, if anything happens.

akb

Veteran
'pull over, get out of the f*cking car you pr*ck!'

Why? Seems like you shot yourself in the foot there; I would have reacted negatively to you or any one else saying that to me as a driver. IMHO, you could have both had a chat about why you and him were upset and sorted it out road side. I dont see the point in your reporting it; from your description above, it seems as though you were both as bad as each other. Granted, a close pass isnt nice; but you didnt handle the situation very well.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
It wasn't the close pass (which was imo deliberate) it was the swerving and braking in front of me and telling me to get off the f'ing road that caused me to loose my temper. Plus I was pretty sure that it was the same bloke who had previously done a deliberate close pass on my wife and then driven alongside me shouting abuse during a time trial on the same road.
You may be prepared to have a have a nice chat with someone like that but it's not in my nature.

Reactions: akb

Brandane

Legendary Member
It wasn't the close pass (which was imo deliberate) it was the swerving and braking in front of me and telling me to get off the f'ing road that caused me to loose my temper. Plus I was pretty sure that it was the same bloke who had previously done a deliberate close pass on my wife and then driven alongside me shouting abuse during a time trial on the same road.
You may be prepared to have a have a nice chat with someone like that but it's not in my nature.

Quite right. You can only have a reasoned, sensible discussion with a reasonable, sensible person! The guy was obviously a knob and as such deserved to be dragged out of his car for some attitude therapy. Not that I would actually DO it; as it is against the law. But that doesn't stop me from wishing that other people would do it and thereby make the streets safer for the rest of us :smile:.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Interesting that the PC didn't mention that the driver :
'..... could be arrested for a public order offence if the driver makes a complaint'
An assumption that you were the only one swearing ? :headshake:

What if you were to make a complaint against the driver for swearing at you ? :becool:

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
To be fair, I think he meant that as far as public order is concerned it could be deemed to be 50/50 but the complaint I was making was about dangerous (IMO) driving.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Yes, I can see that but :
I'd told it to the PC straight and the first thing he said was 'did you swear at him when he was next to you?'
... seems a wee bit strange to me.

Quite right to report the incident too, IMHO :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how to answer this one. What could the police really have done?

"This bloke in a convertible close-passed me then swore at me when I made a hand gesture, so I offered him kerbside fisticuffs and then he swerved at me and he was in a car that looks a lot like another one that did something like that before but might not be".

I'd rather try to find Lord Lucan or bring peace to the Middle East than sort that one out.

These things are sometimes more useful as a lesson to use next time this happens.

For all that the driver was (as the OP tells it) behaving dreadfully and driving dangerously.

What was the net benefit of the OP's behaviour? He may have picked up a PB for the rest of his ride by tapping into all that frustrated fury. That aside, probably very little.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is when it helps to have a scrappy bike. Because if he swerved in front of me and braked I would run into him and then call the police. Let him talk himself out of that one :rolleyes: Even if he managed it he would still have his car to sort out. I have found in the past that drivers really don`t like you dragging your pedals along their paintwork.

Steve

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
This is when it helps to have a scrappy bike. Because if he swerved in front of me and braked I would run into him and then call the police. Let him talk himself out of that one :rolleyes: Even if he managed it he would still have his car to sort out. I have found in the past that drivers really don`t like you dragging your pedals along their paintwork.

Steve

Well I was riding my 1980's gas tube frame fixed.

As for riding into the back of him; Last year whilst on a club run I had a bloke slam his brakes on right in front of me on a wet road and went into the back of him with some force, he then drove off forcing a couple of my mates stood in front of him out of the way in the process. The police turned out but as the reg we thought it was wasn't correct (1 or 2 digits out I suspect) it was a 'no further action'.

I dont blame you for swearing at him something I am guilty of although a lot less these days as I now have a thumb cam I got for £29 from Gizoo so I just happily watch them dig their own hole now and if anything comes of it I have proof.

sidevalve

Über Member
As for the OP did he realise what he'd done, after all if he's never ridden a bike did he actually mean to shake you up or did he just cock up the overtake ? After that it spirals out of control, you wave your arm about he sees a gesture in his mirror, thinks you giving him the V and it goes on, no wonder the police were carefull.
As for running into the back of somebody unless you have CLEAR evidence that they swerved infront of you with the intension of causing an accident [difficult even with a camera] the verdict in court may well be "it's you're fault" .Just because they pull into what you consider to be you're stopping distance, as when driving cars, m/cycles and trucks it doesn't give you the right to run into them, and if he had "managed to talk himself out of that one" YOU would have had to pay for the damage to his car + trauma + shock etc etc.
Scraping the paintwork, hmmm, are we then at the level where if a cyclist cocks up [and be honest sometimes it happens] a car driver or pedestrian can put his foot through the front wheel spokes ? Just for revenge, and that would be OK ?
I aint defending what sounds like a complete t-----r of a driver just trying to put a realistic perspective on things.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
As for the OP did he realise what he'd done, after all if he's never ridden a bike did he actually mean to shake you up or did he just cock up the overtake ?

I'm very sure it was a 'punishment pass'. In the first instance all I did was raise my right arm, palm up. He was about 50 yards in front of me when he first braked and as I drew up to his window started aggressively shouting about using the f*ing cyclce path, which had costs lots of money just for me apparently before I'd said a thing.
IMO he was clearly trying to imtimidate me and wanted a row, from the safety of his car at any rate, although if I'd been 5' 4" & 8 stone I suspect he may well have got out.

sidevalve

Über Member
Please don't get me wrong, I wont defend stupid people and lousy driving and I don't doubt really that you are right. I also know what your signal meant and you KNOW what it meant but as I said in a mirror he probably saw what he expected to see. Trouble is it's a no win situation, after all, IF you had been flicking the V's etc you wouldn't have filmed it on camera [if you had one] would you ? Thus if it goes to court it's just "he started it, no I didn't" and so on. The worst possibility is with acouple of mates on board YOU could have ended up with a good kicking, it just aint worth it, the world is full of t----rs just be glad you aren't one of 'em and let it go.
"Road rage" is common now in cars, trucks and yep even on cycles, we're stuck with it, just let these d--ks go on their way and keep safe.

Top Bottom