Requesting help from CTC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Living in Denmark, joining CTC would be of no benefit to me and so I have no axe to grind with them.

But I must admit that 99% of the articles I read about the CTC are negative. I wouldnt join CTC if I were in the UK. Im not sure what all the problems are but as always, it seems to be more internal than external. If you read between the lines it sounds like people in the organisation have the idea that the CTC are working for them and not the other way round. It also seems to be very political. Its good to have an organisation that looks out for cyclists rights, but That should not be it main concern.

Just because CTC still has members, and we still vote on things, shouldn't delude anyone into thinking we decide things or that CTC exists to serve its members. That's not a cynical view about the effectiveness of democracy; that's legal fact. Since charity conversion, CTC, broadly, cannot legally operate to the benefit of its members over anyone else, and although members still (until the latest changes start removing the provision) elect trustees, trustees cannot legally be bound by member votes and are legally obliged to ignore member votes in some circumstances. CTC policy cannot be determined by member votes. Membership is largely just a commercial transaction. CTC is a charity not a club.

That's what the membership agreed to at charity conversion. As @TMN pointed out, lots of us were vilified at the time for pointing out the drawbacks.

You may like to look at this, IMHO it almost been writtern for the CTC
RS7 - Membership Charities (Version March 2004)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284722/rs7text.pdf

Top Bottom