Requesting help from CTC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In legal reality, that's the job of the executive. The trustees are there to make sure that the executive do their job properly. In the words of the gov.uk website:

That word "ensure" doesn't mean "do". It means "make sure someone does".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/charity-trustee-whats-involved

I would say yes and no. Normal business yes but if the ship is heading the wrong way, the trustees need to use the instruments in the constitution or charter and failing which to other means to set things right. It appears from Op's mails that he can no longer ensure that the executive is doing this right.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Lets not forget that CTC also stands up for our freedom to cycle where we like wearing what we like.

We need someone batting on our side.

classic33

Leg End Member
I recently joined the CTC, mainly to get the insurance and the magazine is sometimes good.
I had no other expectation from them. I sometimes see CTC members at a local cafe while I am cycling on my own. They make it very clear that I am not one of them.
I once telephoned them regarding their holidays after they failed to respond to my E mails. They were very clear that I am not welcome.
They are essentially a club. Like any club it serves its members. But when I joined, I knew that I am not joining the club but was happy to take the insurance.
In that sense then it failed to serve it's members. Selective service isn't really a service.
You, as a member, had as much right as anyone else to their services.

classic33

Leg End Member
Lets not forget that CTC also stands up for our freedom to cycle where we like wearing what we like.

We need someone batting on our side.
Locally, they want cyclists off the roads. If that's batting for our side, I'll go without that bit of help.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I know they campaigned in the past against compulsory use of paths etc which I think is vital but TBH I am not very well informed on CTCs current policies so wont comment any further.

How did you know he/she was a CTC member? You mean you know them to speak to, but they don't want you to ride with them? Rude, then, not CTC rude, just plain rude.
Here the CTC are welcoming, they have a Meetup page with their rides, I don't even think you have to be a member to come along.
Most experienced riding folks I know, or folks that have a job in cycling, are CTC members but belong to other organizations too, like GoBike, Spokes, or indeed the Belles on Bikes. They may also belong to racing groups.
I don't see how a CTC member could say "I'm not riding with you because my membership is higher than yours".

Let me explain this further.
Perhaps because I am a lonely cyclist, the person at the till showed me other cyclists and told me that they are from the CTC. My gentle smile was met with a stone faces. On another day, I met another lonely cyclist like me in the cafe and he showed me the CTC members and told me his experiences. Now this may be just those group of people and has nothing to do with the CTC.
But when I telephone the CTC to talk about holiday, I faced the same stonewall, you are not welcome attitude.

On the contrary, I joined a local Ramblers group about 7 years ago. They all made me welcome. Later, when I became a more regular, I learned that they go out of their way to welcome new members. I learned that it is one of my unwritten duty to talk with new members and made them feel welcome. Then 4 years ago, I joined a local cycling club, I experienced the same friendly welcoming gestures.

So I can understand well when I am not welcome.
But I must say that I have no problem with that. It is their club.

galaxy

Veteran
I think thats shamefull, never mind rude. Some people have no common decencey, if you cant share a smile over bikes and tea then what has the world come too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know they campaigned in the past against compulsory use of paths etc which I think is vital but TBH I am not very well informed on CTCs current policies so wont comment any further.
You're far more accurate than the alternatives AFAIK. Maybe there's a loony local group campaigning to get cyclists banned from the road but they should be asked to either follow the democratically-decided policy or leave as soon as anyone bothers to tell national office ;)

(I'm not a CTC member because I don't see the point when I can't go to any of their local events, but I work alongside some as a CN volunteer, including opposing the occasional nobber asking to ban bikes. CN and CTC have a collaboration agreement.)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Why only asking the questions on here though.
On five other UK forums, and he's not asked on those.

swansonj

Guru
Just because CTC still has members, and we still vote on things, shouldn't delude anyone into thinking we decide things or that CTC exists to serve its members. That's not a cynical view about the effectiveness of democracy; that's legal fact. Since charity conversion, CTC, broadly, cannot legally operate to the benefit of its members over anyone else, and although members still (until the latest changes start removing the provision) elect trustees, trustees cannot legally be bound by member votes and are legally obliged to ignore member votes in some circumstances. CTC policy cannot be determined by member votes. Membership is largely just a commercial transaction. CTC is a charity not a club.

That's what the membership agreed to at charity conversion. As @TMN pointed out, lots of us were vilified at the time for pointing out the drawbacks.

Top Bottom