Respray a powdercoated frame

Cope

My rather neglected frames, both of which were powdercoated, are now showing rust through the paint. I've contacted a few people with a view to getting it repainted and laquered properly. Prices seem reasonable, but I've been told that I need to have the frame stripped back to metal first, as the shot blasting won't remove the powder coat. In view of this I have two questions:

1) Other than aesthetics (and the chance to fit nice decals and look shiny) is there any great advantage to having the frame painted / laquered by a professional bike company, rather than just getting it powder coated again?

2) Any idea where/how to get it cleaned to metal should I decide to go down this route?

screenman

Legendary Member
There are plenty of stripping agents available.

Personally I hate jobs like that and would have it done professionally.

OP
C

Cope

Why wont the shot blasting remove the powder coat? My frame was shot blast back to the metal and repowder coated for £50.
All I know is that the chap I spoke to said: "The shot blast that we use isn't strong enough to remove the powder coating. Powder coating has to be dipped to remove the paint."

screenman

Legendary Member
All I know is that the chap I spoke to said: "The shot blast that we use isn't strong enough to remove the powder coating. Powder coating has to be dipped to remove the paint."
If you find a alloy wheel refurbisher many will have a dipping tank.

Top Bottom