Respray a powdercoated frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cope

My rather neglected frames, both of which were powdercoated, are now showing rust through the paint. I've contacted a few people with a view to getting it repainted and laquered properly. Prices seem reasonable, but I've been told that I need to have the frame stripped back to metal first, as the shot blasting won't remove the powder coat. In view of this I have two questions:

1) Other than aesthetics (and the chance to fit nice decals and look shiny) is there any great advantage to having the frame painted / laquered by a professional bike company, rather than just getting it powder coated again?

2) Any idea where/how to get it cleaned to metal should I decide to go down this route?

screenman

Legendary Member
There are plenty of stripping agents available.

Personally I hate jobs like that and would have it done professionally.

OP
OP
C

Cope

Why wont the shot blasting remove the powder coat? My frame was shot blast back to the metal and repowder coated for £50.

All I know is that the chap I spoke to said: "The shot blast that we use isn't strong enough to remove the powder coating. Powder coating has to be dipped to remove the paint."

screenman

Legendary Member
All I know is that the chap I spoke to said: "The shot blast that we use isn't strong enough to remove the powder coating. Powder coating has to be dipped to remove the paint."

If you find a alloy wheel refurbisher many will have a dipping tank.

Top Bottom