retired the road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
+1

They need to get off OUR roads - feckers can't afford a proper bike. :evil:
...and because they are paying less VAT on cheap bikes they get less rights on the roads.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't think it's necessarily a North/South thing but it depends on numbers.

What I do find strange is that some people will nod/wave at me when I'm riding one of my drop bar bikes (road or tourer) but not when I'm on the flat bar hybrid. To confuse things more, I recently converted that hybrid to drops (and singlespeed) and now those people wave at me :wacko:

Don't get hung up on accknowledgement by other riders, I do try to do so myself as I consider it polite, but it's not very important in the grand scheme of things.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Triumph of marketing over function and common sense - 'BSO / mountain bikes'. Mostly not fit for use on the road, yet many newcomers start with these useless things rather than a straightforward flat bar bike with road use tyres. I dread the newbie turning up to try out the club ride on their knobbly clad 'MTB' with suspension - I know its going to be a long, long day.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That's where the current trend for 'hybrids' does improve things rather. Most of the cheaper hybrids are reasonably sensible town bikes. The sooner we can get people over the ideas that suspension is important for road riding and tyre tread is needed for road braking the better though.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Only mtbers know the true meaning of fun on a bike :thumbsup:
I assume that's off road where they belong. The average cheap be-knobbled front-suspended MTB-shaped object is pointless on road. The experience of riding them must discourage large numbers from taken up cycling.

MarkF

Guru
Same as ever for me, along the Aire valley..........probably use all 3 bikes an equal amount.

Lycra and road bike = Nods & waves
Long shorts & Hybrid = Big reduction in nods & waves, practically none from roadies, although weirdly, for some roadies, hybrid & long shorts signals an opportunity to offer "advice".
Fleece, long shorts + steel 1990's MTB = Oh dear, persona non-grata, no nods & waves unless I go on the canal and meet wobbly "learners".

Top Bottom