Returning to cycling bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

20 years ago yes 20 years I used to cycle to work. I have a giant coldrock which cost £323 I still have the receipt! I am sure prices must have come down. It is quite a heavy bike to lift but has always gone well, freewheeling usually faster than anyone I cycle with. I have to say I don't find the seating position that comfortable I prefer to be a bit more upright. Any way both my boys are now cycling and I would like to do more as a family and possible eventually get cycling back to work (say 5 miles). Essentially I think there is probably nothing wrong with the bike, couple of new tyres and a bit of a gear service would be ok but I have it in my mind I'd like a new one up to say £300 ish. Now is this a waste of money given what I;ve got or have things moved so far forward that it would be worthwhile. I think probably the wheel release mechanisms are now simpler and both wheels come off as opposed to just the front on mine. If worthwhile changing what would you recommend. Also am wondering what size frame I should have I am 5ft 11 so think it would be 21inch do they do ladies bikes this big. Also I am thinking of a car rack - vauxhaul astra, 3 bikes I don't want any paintwork scratches - any recommendations? Where do I measure from to to find out my current frame size.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you are that tall you may be happy with a mens bike - both my bikes ones are, and I'm not as tall as you. I think we are meant to have longer legs and a shorter torso in comparision to men of the same height.

5 miles is a nice commute I think (though it might depend where:biggrin:), and riding with the kids is fun.

Me personly would buy a new bike ... but then I wouldn't know how to thoroughly service a bike that had sat around for a bit, so I would have to pay out for a service which depending what was needed - perhaps tyres if they have perished a little etc, might start to add up to that budget you have specified.

Welcome suzi

OP
OP
W

Willow

Hi I'm back. Had a quick look in the bike shop when I went shopping. They seem to sell mainly Trek. He was recommending the comfort bike for what I want but it looks a bit un cool to me. They had one mountain bike which I really like the look of - now that I know isn't a good reason for buying a bike but .... I still like the look of my old one and figure if I don't like a new one any better or as well as that I may as well keep it anyway. Any views on trek, bike types suggestions all welcome.

Sue

OP
OP
W

Willow

Decision made

i went to another bike shop today one that sell a wider range of manufacturers. He is very impressed to see the 20 year old giant. It needs new gear bits, tyres etc. Undecied I rode a bikes and wow the mongoose 450 steams along compared to the giant mountain bike so I was convinced and am buying new. Very very sad not to be using the old giant any more.

Hi Suzi, welcome to the forum... I'm your height, well, half an inch taller, and usually limited to mens bikes. Just a case of finding one that has a reasonably short reach (well, in my case it is as I have long legs) and possibly cutting the handlebars down a bit (if you have straight bars), I find they tend to be too wide, and possibly putting on a ladies saddle. I'm riding a £300 trek mountain bike (4300) at the moment, works ok on the road with slick tyres fitted and I love it to bits, very comfy and not had any problems with it at all apart from the usual bits that need adjusting after a while. Also, I changed the fork to one with lockout which makes it easier for road cycling. When I got my bike, I knew I could only afford the one, so went for a mountain bike as it is easier to ride that on road than riding a road bike off road, but it all depends on what you want to do with it and how rough it's going to be...

Might be worth spending a bit of money on your old giant if it's in good condition and then ride that for a while till you got a better idea of what/how much you want to do!

LLB

Hi Suzi, Welcome to the forum.

If you are doing road mileage it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a mountain bike. They are designed heavier as they need to be stronger for off roading, the suspension will just sap your energy and speed as so much effort goes into its components and not forward motion unless you are prepared to get forks which lock out (which the mongoose does), and wide tyres will give more rolling resistance making for slower progress (which the mongoose's tyres will being 37mm wide)

My hybrid has carbon fibre forks which are very light weight, but flex to offer a bit of suspension without the weight disadvantage of a telescopic fork

It is effectively a racer with flat bars and would likely fit someone of your frame.

porridge

Hi all

newbie, loved cycling as a kid, now 47 overweight, unfit and all the rest, just started riding to work about a week ago, have been using a 5 year old Apollo gradient mountain bike, found it really hard work !!, its a 9 mile journey to work and im exhausted at the other end.

On monday I was cycling home and my bike broke a couple of miles into my journey, well I had to walk 6 miles...............Best thing that could have happened !!!!!!!!!!

Today I took delivery of an Iron Horse Transit 1.0 and wow what a difference !!, what a fantastic bike !, the difference is amazing, I got a hell of a deal deal from my local bike shop, RRP £350, well after some hard bargaining I got it for an amazing £250, worth every penny and more.

I can thoroughly reccommend the Iron Horse to anyone, its a hybrid and IS REALLY SMOOTH RIDE, it also looks the dogs B*lloocks.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Welcome suzi, welcome porridge, it is good to see such enthusiasm. Some people can be a bit sniffy about hybrids, but for commuting and as general purpose bikes they really are a good.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to get back into cycling that they find a good local bike shop (LBS) and try as many bikes as they can in their price range, then buy the bike which feels best. There are no hard and fast rules. The important thing is to find a bike which you feel comfortable with and enjoy riding it.

OP
OP
W

Willow

porridge did you build up to doing the 9 miles or go straight for it? I'm a bit worried I may get stuck half way!

porridge

suzi said:
porridge did you build up to doing the 9 miles or go straight for it? I'm a bit worried I may get stuck half way!

Hi Suzi

I just went for it, it was hard work all the way, but the sense of achievement made up for the hard work, im lucky that I caqn grab a shower at work, which freshens me up and gives me a an uplifting sense of well being, however, I must admit I am thinking about my journey home all day.

Having JUST come back from a 2 mile journey to my local Tesco, I know that my journey to and from work is going to Sooooooooo much easier !! on on my new bike.

So Suzi- My best piece of advice is to get a good hybrid bike ( again - I can reccommend the Iron Horse). I am old, overweight, but im already starting to feel 16 again and looking forward to a new slimmer, fitter and wealthier me.

Re your journey to work and being worried about making it only half way, my tip would be to get a new bike and build up your stamina for about a week in your spare time.

porridge

Hairy Jock said:
Welcome suzi, welcome porridge, it is good to see such enthusiasm. Some people can be a bit sniffy about hybrids, but for commuting and as general purpose bikes they really are a good.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to get back into cycling that they find a good local bike shop (LBS) and try as many bikes as they can in their price range, then buy the bike which feels best. There are no hard and fast rules. The important thing is to find a bike which you feel comfortable with and enjoy riding it.

Thanks Jock :thumbsup:

Top Bottom